cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch accounts on desktop app without deleting files

How to switch accounts on desktop app without deleting files

mapp0920
New member | Level 2

I am currently using a work computer that will be used starting this week by a new associate. This new associate will have their own email, registered to my company's Dropbox account. I want to switch the desktop app from using my account to using her account, but want to avoid accidentally deleting or overwriting the Dropbox files on the computer. Our Dropbox is quite voluminous, and would take quite a while to re-download. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to switch accounts on desktop app without deleting files

Lusil
Dropboxer
Yes @mapp0920, you are right on that one. 

If you were to connect with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox would detect the existing folder and prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. 

However, since the other user would be connecting their own account to the computer, the desktop app will need to reflect the status of their files and folders. 

I hope this helped clarify matters a bit, but do let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @mapp0920

If you want to stop the desktop app on that device from being connected to your account, you can just unlink it as per this article

Once you do this, the Dropbox folder becomes like any other folder on your hard drive and doesn’t sync to your account. 

For this reason, if you don’t want the files to remain on your computer, you can delete it since it’s no longer connected to your account online.

However, if you re-link to a different Dropbox account on your device, the desktop app will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: Choose Another Location or Install. If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in:
  • A location different than your existing folder, click on Choose Another Location.
  • The same location as your existing one, click on Install. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.
Finally, if you want to sign out from your account through the website on that computer, you do follow the steps outlined here

I hope this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mapp0920
New member | Level 2

Hi @Lusil 

I don't want to change the location of the Dropbox so I will choose the Install option. You said, however, that this renames the existing folder to Dropbox (Old) and create a new folder for the new account. Does this mean that when I choose this option, and link the new associate's account, that they will have to redownload the Dropbox's files? 

Lusil
Dropboxer
Yes @mapp0920, you are right on that one. 

If you were to connect with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox would detect the existing folder and prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. 

However, since the other user would be connecting their own account to the computer, the desktop app will need to reflect the status of their files and folders. 

I hope this helped clarify matters a bit, but do let me know if you have any other questions! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?