cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Removing Dropbox Client Alerts on macOS

How to turn off notification "Because it's online-only it won't be moved to your Recycle bin"

Maxim K.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Does someone know, how to turn off this annoying notification?

"Delete xxx.xxx? Because it's online-only it won't be moved to your Recycle bin"?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @bigsky - how are you today?

I moved your post under this thread as your inquiry echoes the OP's query and to keep things neat around our Community. 

I double checked this internally and when it comes to the Smart Sync notifications and the option to disable them, this not possible I'm afraid.

This specific type of notifications is a failsafe in order to save our users from un-necessary deletion/changes and cannot be disabled. 

As for your consequent inquiry, again this is not possible; to disable those notifications beforehand.

At this point, I'd like to thank you for your feedback - I will log this with the team as a feature request.   

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps to some extent.  Please let me know if you have anything to add or ask; I'll be happy to follow up!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Maxim K.6  - how are you today?

Could you forward me a screenshot of this error and the steps you take that result in it so I can have a better look of the matter at hand?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Maxim K.6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Steps:

1. enable smart-sync,
  2. make some directory "Online only"
  3. delete any file from it.

For every file I get this warning. I understand, how "Online only" works, can I switch this warning off?

Dropbox warning.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info Maxim - most appreciated.

As I wouldn't want to give you false information, let me check with the team and I'll get back to you once I have an update to share. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Following up on this, as I wanted to bring it under the attention of our experts, I just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address so we can have a better look into it.

Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

bigsky
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm using the latest macOS Dropbox client on a Mac. Everything works well but there are a handful of recurring Dropbox alerts I find extremely annoying.

The worst among the bunch are Online-only-files-related alerts, which I'm plagued by thanks to my Dropbox Pro subscription; they raise their ugly head with every (online-only) file deletion, without an option to turn off any future incarnations of it.

Picture:

oo-delete-shared.pngoo-delete.png

The following notification are less annoying since they can be turned off after their initial appearance, yet I've been wondering if there's a way to disable them in advance, before they pop for the first time? This would really streamline the deployment of many Dropbox clients I'm required to do occasionally.

deletion.pngmove-out.pngscreenshots.png

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @bigsky - how are you today?

I moved your post under this thread as your inquiry echoes the OP's query and to keep things neat around our Community. 

I double checked this internally and when it comes to the Smart Sync notifications and the option to disable them, this not possible I'm afraid.

This specific type of notifications is a failsafe in order to save our users from un-necessary deletion/changes and cannot be disabled. 

As for your consequent inquiry, again this is not possible; to disable those notifications beforehand.

At this point, I'd like to thank you for your feedback - I will log this with the team as a feature request.   

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps to some extent.  Please let me know if you have anything to add or ask; I'll be happy to follow up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

bigsky
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks. It would be great if opting-out of those alerts would be added in the future.

KevinMcKraken
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Seems similar to other posts, but I couldn't find a solution for this particular problem:

When deleting items from Dropbox on my Windows 10 device, I get a pop-up that states that I am deleting online-only files and that I can restore them throught the web application. I understood this the first, second, and 50th time. There doen't seem to be a checkbox for "Do not show again".

Do I have any options, or am I stuck with this? It makes cleaning my massive amount of folders take much longer than necessary.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @KevinMcKraken, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I’ve moved your post under this discussion, as your initial description echoes what Maxim had asked back in June & I believe Walter’s explanation above should help you paint a clearer picture. 

I’m also following along, so please let me know if you have more questions for me. Thanks!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?