cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to upload files then delete from mobile device but not have files deleted from DropBox?

Can I delete photos from my phone after uploading them without deleting them from Dropbox too?

Jonathan B.3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Here's the essence of the problem: I have DropBox Pro installed on an iPhone 5s, iPad Air, MacBook Pro and Windows desktop computer. I do NOT want to clog up my iPhone, iPad and MacBook with files from DropBox. I want to simply upload and then delete them from the mobile devices. I'd like to use automatic Camera Upload but when I delete the photos from my iPhone or iPad I do NOT want them deleted from DropBox...as has happened on numerous occasions (most recently when I exchanged a broken iPhone for a new one and then tried to copy content from one to the other and subsequently delete unwanted photos...on the iPhone, not "unwanted" from my DropBox space). So how do I do a one way sync? Keep in mind that after photos appear in the Camera Upload folder, I MOVE them to a different desired location...and when they're deleted from my iPhone, they are still deleted from the new location!

45 Replies 45

Craig L.8
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yikes, sure we can manually move photos and video files out of the automatic photo uploads folder up on Dropbox.com and.or out on a connected computer, and then manually delete them from the phone.. But shouldn't the computer(s) just do it for us? Seriously, this is a perfect example of just the kind of simple repetitive task suited to automation. I guess I'll go engage with Dropbox support. Perhaps there's a fix for this already. (.. as well as for the RAW file auto export problem.)

Thanks for the helpful procedurals though. They do clarify the synching relationships.

Jim M.58
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The problem with the proposed solution of moving them to an unsynchronized folder is that sometimes I might want to access them on the mobile device. If the folder is unsynchronized then - correct me if I'm wrong - I won't be able to download the individual file, without first resyncing the folder, and then waiting while dropbox downloads every file in that folder. When all I wanted was that one file. I don't have time to wait for dropbox to download the entire folder. I want dropbox to store a list of the files in the folder, and let me choose to download some of them when I need them.

Louis-Martin R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We REALLY need the old carrousel feature ... Do you know of Google or Microsoft have a solution that can do this ? I've always been loyal to DB, but without this it doesn't make sens as picture syncing tool...

Peter W.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have deleted the Dropbox App from my mobile devices. I log onto Dropbox using Google Chrome then download the small number of files I need onto my mobile device. This avoids syncing the entire Dropbox account.

Roberta D.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have an iPhone 6 and want to move my pictures from my iphone to my hp pavilion sleekbook PC to free up space on my iphone. What is the easiest way to do this? I already have it set up to auto transfer pics weekly from iPhone to PC but want to be able to (comfortably)delete off iPhone with the knowledge they won't be lost if I delete off
iPhone.

Sairey G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to organize the photos I take and have them available, in grid form, on both my iphone and computer. As far as I can tell, Dropbox only offers a list form. I like seeing them as my iphone Photos displays them - bigger, in a grid. Does anyone know a solution? Ideally I want to sync and organize them to dropbox and then as I do that they are deleted from the photos app on my phone. I want to be able to find them in their folders, and not duplicated in other places.

Thanks!

It seems Dropbox used to have something called Carousel. Will they be coming out with something soon? Thank you!

Natalie R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am no longer wanting to use Dropbox. I want to take all photos and videos from my "camera uploads" section and move them to an external hard drive. Aside from selecting each individual file I cannot figure out an expeditious way to do this. With over 3k photos, that option is just not realistic.

Can anyone help me with this query?? My question posed to Dropbox help desk only referred me to a very unhelpful link to a site that just shows me how to copy and paste files on my computer, which I am already well aware of how to do.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

Rod W.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ask Dropbox if the offered paid backup media like putting your files on DVD's than have them mail them to you. Old day's prices varied on different services from one free processing a year but you give them the money for the DVD's to $59.99 plus the cost of DVD's they would say it took to backup your files on and postage to mail them to you.

One service had a mailed encryped hard drive they'd put your files on and mail it to you then you mail it back and you paid shipping and low cost once a year service use but not sure if DropBox is able to do this.

Just thought I'd offer a suggestion even thou you said you already contacted them and they did not help out but send you a link to backup your files over the internet.

Here just in case others would like to get an Idea of 

"Cloud Storage Is Not Cloud Backup"

If you looking for true backup and restore services Google search them. Some as I said will mail a large hard drive to you either with your files on it or for you to put files on it to send back to the company to load into your files online without uploading or downloading them. Hope this make's since to people! Sorry if I cause any confusion with this post. I have been though the samething and don't like it at all! Even with DropBox! If I find more information I'll post back here at sometime. Thanks for reading. Hope all goes well and everyone gets what they want!

Jonathan B.3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Natalie R., unless I'm misreading your question, the answer is as simple as copying all the files in your Camera Uploads folder to a connected external drive on your computer (Mac or Windows). In other words, all those files in the Camera Uploads folder are already (or should be) automatically synced with the \Documents\My Dropbox\Camera Uploads\ folder on your computer's hard drive. Simply navigate to that folder, select all files (Ctrl-A or Command-A on Mac), copy them (Ctrl-C or Command-C) and navigate to the external hard-drive location where you want to copy the files and paste them in that location (Ctrl-V or Command-V).

bdr2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Yes! That's what we need!
Need more support?