cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Excel Power Query to red files in Dropbox Plus - 2TB plan?

How to use Excel Power Query to red files in Dropbox Plus - 2TB plan?

New member | Level 2

I would like to use my dropbox storage to share excel files which are accessed by power query.

I have a folder with files several excel files in it, and one excel file that has power query that should draw information from the tables in the other files.

I can do this when the files are on my computer and reference the files, but if I share them with others the file path is incorrect as it does not point to the dropbox folder.

I have tried to use the sharing link, but this does not work and access is denied.

Can anyone help with this?

4 Replies 4

Re: How to use Excel Power Query to red files in Dropbox Plus - 2TB plan?

Dropboxer

Hey there @longstreath, thanks for reaching out to us here!

This would indeed be a little tricky as the linked file path would be changed for different devices. 

Perhaps this post will be of some help? Using a slightly different way to link the other files might help with opening the files on another device.

Please just bear in mind that previewing the files through Dropbox though wouldn't be a viable option for this though, the files would need to be downloaded locally.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I dont think that would work.

In Excel under Data you now have the option to get data from the web, but you need to have a URL to get to the file. For example you could get data from a URL path such as the following stored file:

https:confused face:/file-examples-com.github.io/uploads/2017/02/file_example_XLS_5000.xls

If I use Excel's Data > Get Data > From Web, and use the above path, Excel will allow me to load and transform the data.

The URL is hard coded into the query source as: 

= Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://file-examples-com.github.io/uploads/2017/02/file_example_XLS_5000.xls"), null, true)

What I want to do is be able to get data from files I store in Dropbox so that when the query file looks for the source it can find the URL provided. 

I cannot seem to get this to happen with Dropbox stored files.

Super User II

@longstreath wrote:

In Excel under Data you now have the option to get data from the web, but you need to have a URL to get to the file.

The only way to get a URL that points directly to a file is through a shared link, and then modifying the URL to replace ?dl=0 with ?raw=1. Normally, such a link would leave it up to the browser to determine how to handle the file. Dropbox just passes the raw file, but there's still a redirect involved that changes the URL. I don't think Excel will be able to get passed the redirect.

New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich,

I will give that a try tomorrow, and see if it helps. I am starting to face the fact that this may not be viable which would be a real shame as remote file access by applications becomes more common.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?