cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hundreds of background processes, new windows opened

Hundreds of background processes, new windows opened

WillHermann
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox seems to be stuck in a loop, and opening hundreds of background processes. This consumes all my CPU capacity, then eats at my memory and disk space. See attached pics. There also seem to be windows being automatically opened, as my typing or mouse clicks in other apps is interrupted when the hundreds of background processes are opened. The number seems to level off after about 1650 (about 100 are from other sources; I waited for a few minutes after startup to start the dropbox app, and didn't have too much trouble until I opened other programs that access files on Dropbox).

I went through the file permissions troubleshooting, and it came back with an error about the cookies file. I couldn't find it in order to try to fix it. 

\Users\(username)\Cookies\*: Access is denied Performance Post Dropbox and other apps startupPerformance Post Dropbox and other apps startupprocesses post startupprocesses post startupprocesses pre-startupprocesses pre-startupperformance pre-startupperformance pre-startupSuccessfully processed 644 files; Failed processing 1 files

26 Replies 26

TheSolarZone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi.

Tried but there were too many and the computer was to slow to do even this.

So booted into safe mode and was then able to complete the uninstall process.

Computer is working like dream again!

Will get around to reinstalling sometime.

Thanks for getting back to me

Stay safe

Stuart

mpoling
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same exact problem.  I'm not going through beta testing your update.  It happened IMMEDIATELY after your last software update, so let's not go to the "third party" blame game.  It's your error.  I'm already prepping to move to another service if you can't admit it and fix it.

I've uninstalled the app, reinstalled.  I've looked at my anti-virus, but if Dropbox can't work with a large vendor like BitDefender, then Antivirus trumps Dropbox....

Mike Poling

Minas S.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Mike,
You are right it is definitely a Dropbox problem - something to do with the last couple of updates. I also had the same problem and also have bitdefender installed, so it might also have to do with the interaction.
Good news is that after removing and reinstalling Dropbox a couple of times (without having to remove the Dropbox folder as others have said) it somehow worked as before.
Hopefully it will work for you too.

fido123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issues with my dropbox.  Just started happening last week.

DeanPavlakis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This same problem happened to me starting two days ago, spawning hundreds of processes within about 30 minutes. I rebooted a bunch of times, same thing. I tried uninstalling, but can't - once the processes have spawned, there are too many to "stop" or "end" - but I was able to "end task" right after rebooting and uninstall. I reinstalled and the same problem again. It uses 100% of my disk space and almost 100% of my memory, making my computer useless.  If a solution is found, I'd really like to know.

mpoling
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My solution was to move from Dropbox to Google Drive.  Problem solved and uploads are much faster

brian-bel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem.  Dropbox goes into an endless cycle.  Task manager shows a never ending stream of hundreds, perhaps thousands of dropbox processes, using up my RAM and causing programs to crash.  The first program I notice crashing is chrome.  Others follow later.  (I had to switch to edge.)  Removing dropbox from startup programs helped for awhile.  But the problem still returned.  I tried to uninstall dropbox.  It won't uninstall.  

If I run task manager immediately after rebooting, and end the 3 or 4 dropbox processes that have already started, that does seem to stop the problem of endless additional dropbox processes.  But still my computer is acting funny.  And I can't manually end dropbox processes every time I boot up.  And still dropbox won't uninstall.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

brian-bel New member | Level 2
    mpoling Explorer | Level 3
    DeanPavlakis New member | Level 2
    fido123 New member | Level 2
    Minas S. Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?