cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I DONT WANT SOCIAL MEDIA

I DONT WANT SOCIAL MEDIA

Mike_2
Explorer | Level 4

I did not choose dropbox for social media!

I want, indeed need, customer support from Dropbox not from some frustrated or bored individual with no knowledge of the subject other than they have an account.

I want someone from Dropbox to communicate with me one to one to hear my problem and possibly resolve it! Now1

A good measure of a company is by the quality of its customer support and the ease with which it is for a customer to contact that support when it is needed.

Dropbox is lacking in those essential qualities!

10 Replies 10

Re: I DONT WANT SOCIAL MEDIA

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @Mike_2; thanks for posting on our Community and thanks for your feedback on your support options.

As it's not quite clear, can you please let us know what exactly is troubling you?

Thanks so much, Mike. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mike_2
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Walter,

My problem is for Dropbox. I mean no disrespect but I am angry with them! Dropbox used to be helpful and the application served the purpose that it claimed on the box and it was relatively easy to setup....none of those qualities are evident now!

It is their incompetence that has caused me a LOT of problems with my computer. Having said that I don't suspect that I will hear from them now but if they continue to make it an arduous ordeal out of getting in touch with them I shall be terminating my use of their product!

I spent 30-40 minutes literally going around in circles on their website looking for customer support and for help. There are several places where it suggests I might find them but those suggestions lead absolutely nowhere!

It is  implied that Dropbox want want to help me but it is very apparent that they do not!

It seems to be a disease that has infected most developers of online products nowadays; they make a product available and they seem to think other people can sort out the problems with it. They actively shun contact with their customers. I want nothing from those sort of people or of those organisations!

Walter
Dropboxer
I appreciate the time you took to share your feedback on this with us, Mike; it's much appreciated. 

If there's anything else to add or ask, don't hesitate to reach out again. We'll be just one post away. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mike_2
Explorer | Level 4

I have files stored on Dropbox which I am unable to download, at the very last minute I get a failed message. I have tried to download these files ten times at least with the same result. Why would that be?

Furthermore, Dropbox has taken files and folders from my computer without my knowledge or consent and when I try to download the files that are stored in my account dropbox writes a new folder for it and the folders that are being downloaded. I have given NO consent for any of this!

I was asked when I installed the new application whether I wanted to work on my computer or on some imaginary cloud, I chose the former. Dropbox then proceeds to upload my documents files (amongst other things) and at the same time open a new folder called dropbox .This is a new computer and dropbox has managed to screw everything up that I have done on it! I have to re-installed so many programmes as a result!

I gave NO consent for any of this. I came to dropbox because MS was doing exactly the same thing with its OneDrive which I totally resented; I am VERY angry now that Dropbox is doing the very same thing.

I wonder whether MS has actually taken over Dropbox because the customer support on dropbox used to be very good... now it is non-existent; just like MS's customer support (or lack there-of).

How can I remove dropbox and all the files that are stored on my account because by my experiences today it appears that I am not able to (or allowed to) download them?

I will then cancelling my account!

Daphne
Dropboxer
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this @Mike_2.

From what you mentioned, it sounds like you installed the desktop app and during the setup enabled the computer backup feature.

If this is the case, and your Documents/Desktop/Downloads folders syncing with Dropbox, you can disable this by following the steps at the bottom of this article.

In step 6, just make sure to choose to keep the files on the computer rather than Dropbox, to automatically remove the files from syncing with Dropbox.

I'd be happy to work through this with you, so don't hesitate to give me a nudge here with how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Mike_2
Explorer | Level 4

I am VERY reluctant to re-install Dropbox after what has happened! (Once bitten...twice shy!)

I told the application when setting it up that I wanted control on my computer but it proceeds in putting everything that matters into a dropbox folder. I mean EVERYTHING! I stopped it when I realised what was happening.

I have now removed this computer from the devices list but I am still plagued by dropbox. My downloads are still being automatically saved in dropbox and I cannot do anything to stop it. I cannot remove the name/dropbox folder from my computer. I cannot change anything in rthe folder's properties/security tab. I cannot remove the folder from the my account at dropbox. My email data folder was stored in dropbox and because of that, on two occasions I have had to remove my email account and re-install it because my email data files (and folder)  were taken over by Dropbox and were therefore inaccessible to Outlook.

Defaults that were once under my control have be taken over by dropbox!

This application is dangerous! It is insidious!

It has changed from when I first started using it where I was able to tell it what files to store and, by inference, what files not to. But now in its infinite wisdom dropbox has taken on the role of superior being that thinks it knows best with a "stuff the computer owner he knows nothing!" attitude.

The article that you have referred me to does not appear to be relevant. I want to COMPLETELY get rid of dropbox from my computer along with everything that it has installed or setup. I want EVERY link removed! And I want to do it without re-installing the application.

dropbox has infiltrated into places that it has no business!

Mike_2
Explorer | Level 4

I have removed the dropbox application from my computer because during the installation process I noticed that it was taking control and moving files and folders that it had no business doing. Nor had I told it do.It was acting just like an out of control virus.

As a result a lot of my applications do not work or are impaired. The most affected application is MS Office Pro but others have too had issues: my VPN programme and Google Earth Pro are two of my most frequent applications which have been impaired. But not only that, my desktop has been hijacked by dropbox too; I cannot access my downloads folder, I cannot access my desktop folder nor can I access my documents folder and every time I try I get a warning message of the type "this belongs to dropbox you are not allowed".

I have removed this computer from my list of devices in my account on the website in the vain hope that such action would solve my problems. I have also run CCleaner to no avail. I do not know what else I can do.

I would like dropbox to be more forthcoming and help me with this instead of referring me to irrelevant documents on its website and forgetting about me all the time.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info @Mike_2.

Since you've uninstalled the app already on your computer, we can reset the folder paths manually instead, for any folders which were backed up and still have Dropbox within the file path.

Can you please follow these steps to do this?

If you run into any issues with this, please send along any relevant screenshots.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Mike_2
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Daphne,

That appears to have solved some of the problem, I am now able to access my folders. It remains, however, that my folder structure is somewhat untidy but I am able to live with that.

Mike

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?