cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting a permission sharing error and can not save documents frommicrosoft word on my computer

I am getting a permission sharing error and can not save documents frommicrosoft word on my computer

miriamjoyjones
New member | Level 2

I am getting a permission sharing error and can not save documents from Microsoft word on my computer to dropbox

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error.

It only started happening recently and seems to be something between dropbox and microsoft word.

It is also not letting me edit my microwoft word documents in dropbox 

Can anyone help?

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @miriamjoyjones,

Could you please provide me with some additional details so as to have a better understanding of the behavior? For example:

• Are you editing and seeing this error from the website or the desktop app? 
  • Is this file shared with anyone else or is it a private/regular file in your account?

Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message that you see?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MarkL1
New member | Level 2

Operation in my case "Save As"
Error messages when trying to save:
"Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error."

The document “X” could not be saved as “Y”.

MarkL1
New member | Level 2

This seems to be a MS 16.26 bug because if you shut down Word and try the same operation it will work.  FYI, I was specifically trying to save to DropBox, which I did successfully after the shut down/restart.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MarkL1, thanks for keeping us in the loop!

I'd be more than happy to look into this with you if you'd like, but I'll just need a bit more info. For example:

• Are you getting this error with any Word document that you try to save directly to Dropbox?
  • Have you tried saving a document in any other location on your computer?
  • Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the exact error message?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Philmartin57
New member | Level 2

I'm getting the same problem. Open a word doc from my local dropbox directory, make a change, save, and "Word Cannot ... permission error". If I save with a new name, saves okay, make change, saves okay, close the doc, reopen, make change, save okay ... for a while, then randomly it hapens again. Seams to occure after shutting down, sleep or hibernation but I'm not sure that is the whole story. I use a PC and a tablet and the problem occures on both machines.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Philmartin57, thanks for posting your experience on this thread, and sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this error message. 

Out of curiosity, could you clarify the following for me?

• Does this happen only with MS Word documents? 
  • Does this error come up only with MS Word documents that are in your Dropbox folder, or other documents as well?
  • Could you send me a screenshot of ther error message (without any personal details included)?

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Philmartin57
New member | Level 2

Hi Lucil,

It only seams to hapen with Word but TBH I use a lot of Word docs and not much else.

It only seams to affect docs in Dropbox.

Its subornly refusing to do it when I wan it to. I'll get back to you when I have a screenshot for you.

Regards

Phil

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

No worries, @Philmartin57:grin: Thanks you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Philmartin57 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?