cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder in use Error

I am getting a "Folder in use" error - can you help me?

turbinator1990
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This issue is related to the dropbox Desktop application/program. Using the windows File Exploroer to browse my Dropbox folder I attempt to change folder names I would get an error "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program, Close the folder or file and try again". This issue is the same for all Droxbox folders and only way to change the folder name is to logon to Dropbox on Google chrome and rename folders from there. 

Is there any way to correct this issue so I can go back to use Windows File Explorer to rename folders?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@turbinator1990 wrote:

I am using Windows 7 operating system.

Even with all other programs closed and dropbox client paused syncing I am still having the same issue. 

I re-started my computer and still encounter this issue. To note this computer is shut down on a daily basis. 

Hello, @turbinator1990...

Okay.

Thanks for trying the suggestions.

Do you have any 3rd party programs accessing the Dropbox folder (eg: backup program such as CrashPlan or iDrive)?  Perhaps an external drive connected to your computer?

Can you change the name of a folder that is not located inside your Dropbox folder (eg: folder on your desktop)?  If not, then something on your computer is preventing you from renaming folders/files that has nothing to do with Dropbox.

Perhaps you could take a screenshot of what you see when trying to change the folder/file name.

Let us know when you have time.

View solution in original post

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We'd also be curious to know:

If Dropbox is turned off does the issue replicate? That will tell us if it's us or a 3rd party application that's holding the file locks or us.

It doesn't sound like a permissions error that's popping up however that might explain why it's on all files/folders in the Dropbox folder (if this is the case).

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@turbinator1990 wrote:

This issue is related to the dropbox Desktop application/program. Using the windows File Exploroer to browse my Dropbox folder I attempt to change folder names I would get an error "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program, Close the folder or file and try again". This issue is the same for all Droxbox folders and only way to change the folder name is to logon to Dropbox on Google chrome and rename folders from there. 

Is there any way to correct this issue so I can go back to use Windows File Explorer to rename folders?

You didn't offer any specifics as to what tools you're currently using to accomplish your task, such as your operating system (eg: Win7, 8.1 or 10).

I was able to change my Dropbox folder names while the Desktop Client is running.

Something on your computer is accessing your Dropbox folder/files (eg: file open in Word/Writer or Excel/Calc, etc).  Make sure all of your File Explorer windows are closed except one in order to change Dropbox folder names.

You could try pausing the Desktop Client and then try to change folder/file names (left-click on Dropbox icon in system tray then left-click on UP TO DATE verbiage).

If above suggestions don't help, please restart your computer or better yet, shut-it-off for 60 seconds and then turn it back on.

turbinator1990
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Even with all other programs closed and dropbox client paused syncing I am still having the same issue. 

I re-started my computer and still encounter this issue. To note this computer is shut down on a daily basis. 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@turbinator1990 wrote:

Okay.

Thanks for trying the suggestions.

Do you have any 3rd party programs accessing the Dropbox folder (eg: backup program such as CrashPlan or iDrive)?  Perhaps an external drive connected to your computer?

Can you change the name of a folder that is not located inside your Dropbox folder (eg: folder on your desktop)?  If not, then something on your computer is preventing you from renaming folders/files that has nothing to do with Dropbox.

Perhaps you could take a screenshot of what you see when trying to change the folder/file name.

Let us know when you have time.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
 Hey turbinator1990, have you been able to check 310EI’s latest reply? 

Based on your description (& the error message), the culprit’s located locally on your device, so my advice would also be to check whether your Antivirus (which constantly monitors your Dropbox folder) or other Security software has been halting syncing. (Note: You may have to monitor your active programs through the Task Manager). 

We’re looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We'd also be curious to know:

If Dropbox is turned off does the issue replicate? That will tell us if it's us or a 3rd party application that's holding the file locks or us.

It doesn't sound like a permissions error that's popping up however that might explain why it's on all files/folders in the Dropbox folder (if this is the case).

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?