cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am not happy that Microsoft Word wants access to ALL of my documents. This seems unnecessary and intrusive. Especially since I cannot say "no" to the app unless I am prepared to also live with the fact I will not be able to open the document.

I am not happy that Microsoft Word wants access to ALL of my documents. This seems unnecessary and intrusive. Especially since I cannot say "no" to the app unless I am prepared to also live with the fact I will not be able to open the document.

John W.39
New member | Level 1

I want to be able to open my document WITHOUT giving access to Microsoft to ALL other documents in my Dropbox folder. Otherwise ... goodbye to you UNSECURE and LACKING IN PRIVACY Dropbox!

11 Replies 11

Re: I am not happy that Microsoft Word wants access to ALL of my documents. This seems unnecessary and intrusive. Especially since I cannot say "no" to the app unless I am prepared to also live with the fact I will not be able to open the document.

Mark
Super User II

Then you need to complain to Microsoft - it is after all THERE application that is wanting the access. Dropbox have nothing to do with the applications like this. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: I am not happy that Microsoft Word wants access to ALL of my documents. This seems unnecessary and intrusive. Especially since I cannot say "no" to the app unless I am prepared to also live with the fact I will not be able to open the document.

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

You want Word to be able to open your documents, but don't want Word to have the necessary permissions to open your documents.

Somewhat of a contradiction in terms and as Mark correctly notes, not even a Dropbox issue.

David L.78
New member | Level 1

I agree with John W's concern. I have just installed Excel and Word on my Android phone and I am asked to grant permission to Microsoft to access my files in Dropbox. Is that permission to access ALL files or just the one I'm opening/editing?  I would not want them to be able to access ALL of my files in Dropbox. Lots of personal stuff in there. Does giving "permission" give Microsoft access to ALL files in Dropbox?

Mark
Super User II

Does giving "permission" give Microsoft access to ALL files in Dropbox?

No it gives the program access to the files. Without that access you cant use it. 

Again though, it is an issue with Microsoft - they have implemented the API that way so complaints about it need to be sent to them. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

V K.2
New member | Level 1

My experience, working on a spreadsheet in a browser window on my laptop, was that it was a blanket permission for MS Office to access *all* of my Dropbox files and folders. Not acceptable!! Maybe I have documents or photos or other things that I don't care to share with coercive megalith Microsoft. They're getting as bad as Apple, thinking they know what's best for we peons.

And Dropbox allows this to happen within THEIR environment. How is this not at least partially their responsibility?!!

Tim M.
Collaborator | Level 9

There's not really a great solution for this, though. It needs permission to open any document that you'd like in your Dropbox account. Sure, you can say "only allow word access to .doc/.docx files", but what if you want to embed a photo that's in your Dropbox account while working on that document, or open a PDF? 

I guess it's a matter of trusting Microsoft to not dig through your files more than is necessary. In reality, I really, REALLY doubt their API is accessing anything other than the exact files you're opening/editing. But it's still your CHOICE - you can choose to not allow them any access at all if you're concerned. 

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox allows this to happen within THEIR environment

Because your post is different to the original post. 

The original post was about people actively installing the apps on to their mobile devices. Not the website. 

Via the website Dropbox is obviously responsible - which is why you are asked yes or no. 

V K.2
New member | Level 1

>>It needs permission to open any document that you'd like in your Dropbox account.<<  I respectfully disagree. It only needs permission to open any document that I want it to enable working on or in or with. 

Why not offer users an "Ask before allowing" option? If it gets tiresome granting permission on a case-by-case basis, users could still select "Allow all".

Trusting Microsoft not to dig through files anymore than is strictly necessary is very, very naive. That sort of trust needs to have proof underlying it, and there isn't any.

Lastly, the issue of being forced to grant wholesale files access is the same concern, whether working in the mobile or desktop environment - in a browser window at the Dropbox site, or in a Dropbox-approved app. In both very similar instances, it's a matter of coercion rather than facilitation.

Mark
Super User II

Again though, as its simply a Microsoft product on a web page you need to ask them to change there integration and set up systems. 

Or simply dont use it. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dave C.5 New member | Level 2
    John H.79 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    V K.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?