cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am using two accounts. Can you help me access both of them through the desktop app?

I am using two accounts. Can you help me access both of them through the desktop app?

CVH
Explorer | Level 3

I have a Plus account which I use for personal stuff. My work has recently created a Business account. Both have differentn emails associated with them. I have merged the two accounts. I cannot access the new business account without logging into the website. I cannot creat a shortcut on my desktop etc. Help please - this is very frustrating!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using two accounts

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @CVH - sorry to hear about this.

From what I understand you recently joined a Dropbox for Business Team and have also paired or connected your accounts (i.e. not merged, as merging would mean that you now have only one of them) yet you can't see both of them when using the desktop application on your computer. Feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong please!

At this point I need to ask, have you connected your accounts following the steps mentioned in this Help Center article?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/connect-personal-account 

If you did indeed, note that you can add a second Dropbox account to the desktop app following these steps: 

1. Connect your personal account and work account.
  2. If your app isn't up-to-date, download and install the latest version of the desktop app.
  3. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  4. Click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
  5. Select the Account tab.
  6. If you already signed in to your work account, select the Personal tab. Or, if you already signed in to your personal account, select the tab with your company's name.
  7. Click the Link button.
  8. Enter the password for your second account.

Let me know if this helped please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @CVH - sorry to hear about this.

From what I understand you recently joined a Dropbox for Business Team and have also paired or connected your accounts (i.e. not merged, as merging would mean that you now have only one of them) yet you can't see both of them when using the desktop application on your computer. Feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong please!

At this point I need to ask, have you connected your accounts following the steps mentioned in this Help Center article?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/connect-personal-account 

If you did indeed, note that you can add a second Dropbox account to the desktop app following these steps: 

1. Connect your personal account and work account.
  2. If your app isn't up-to-date, download and install the latest version of the desktop app.
  3. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  4. Click the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
  5. Select the Account tab.
  6. If you already signed in to your work account, select the Personal tab. Or, if you already signed in to your personal account, select the tab with your company's name.
  7. Click the Link button.
  8. Enter the password for your second account.

Let me know if this helped please!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CVH
Explorer | Level 3

Thank yuo for your help. I followed the steps. I was signed in to both accounts but can only access my personal plus account via a desktop shortcut. I'm stuck.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response @CVH -most appreciated. 

Is this shortcut for a web session, the desktop app or just your Dropbox Folder?  Would you mind sharing a screenshot so that I can have a better understanding of the situation at hand? 

Also, could you try something out for me please? 

If you may, I'd like you to unlink your account(s) from the desktop application on the affected computer and re-link using your work account's credentials first. See below for the exact steps you need to take and keep me posted on your progress please.

Please follow these steps to unlink and relink your computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock.
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel, and select "Preferences".
3) Select the Account tab.
4) Click the "Unlink" button in the Account tab.
5) Your Dropbox will then prompt you to re-enter your accounts' information at which point you'll have to login again. 

Let me know how this goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CVH
Explorer | Level 3

Still can't access both accounts files from the one platform or desktop . . .

Walter
Dropboxer

I am sorry to hear that @CVH - in this case I'd suggest switching to email due to acccount specific info I'd need to look into so I can further assist you with this. Therefore, would it be OK if I reached out via email to the address you use for your forum's profile so we can work on this internally with all of our tools available? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    CVH Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?