cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I asked for my Dropbox to be unlinked from infected pc, but could not get it relinked for new PC.

I asked for my Dropbox to be unlinked from infected pc, but could not get it relinked for new PC.

Bamm
Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox Plus account will renew shortly, but Dropbox has denied my request for a relink on this, my new pc. My old pc had a virus and I feared a break-in into my account; and, indeed, Dropbox advised that two files had been taken, hence, my request for an unlink until I could get my new pc. Dropbox had suggested that I change the name on my account, so as to have it hidden,and I did that, but it did not prevent the theft. All my files were stolen/copied soon after that. This week, a repairman found a copy of my files that had been stolen from my account. I can provide those to DB, so as to prove my account had been stolen. I cannot find a way to reach an actual employee, so as to have my account relinked. 

4 Replies 4

Re: I asked for my Dropbox to be unlinked from infected pc, but could not get it relinked for new PC

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Bamm, thanks for reaching out to us. 

If you're on a Basic account, currently, there's a three device limit. As such, if you want to relink your computer to your account, you'll have to unlink down to at least two devices. 

However, if your account was hacked, I'd recommend contacting our team via this link from an incognito window (without signing in) and submitting a Help Request.

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I asked for my Dropbox to be unlinked from infected pc, but could not get it relinked for new PC

Bamm
Explorer | Level 3

No. I could get to the incognito screen, but not to the link you sent (dropbox.com/support/). So, I've not been able to get to an agent of Dropbox to explain and to ask for a relinking of my account to this new pc. Thank you so much, though, for your response and suggestions.

Gale

Had files stolen, did an unlinking , but DB won't do a relink

Bamm
Explorer | Level 3

My account with Dropbox was 2TB, along with a continuation of the Rat Pack option, since I'd been with DB for many years. In February, I asked for an unlinking because I had a virus and could see that others were trying to get into my DB account. And, indeed, DB advised the deletion of two files. After the unlink request, I deleted the account from that PC as I feared the hackers would get in again.

Then, when i had this pc ready, I was advised by DB that they didn't have my account--that I'd deleted it. 

However, when a repairman was trying to find the virus on my old pc, he found a folder named  "Dropbox Files," another named "Dropbox Files - Copy" and the same contents in a folder of the Administrator of a workgroup someone had set up on my pc --and that I'd had no knowledge of that. 

I tried to copy the folders to an external hard drive, but the "Administrator" would not permit it. I have what the repairman found--my DB folders and files, but several have now been deleted and many folders are empty. Otherwise, the names and arrangement of files and folders are identical to what I had set up in Dropbox. These stolen copies show a modified date of April 30, 2020.

I've been unable to reach an actual, living person at Dropbox with whom to discuss this. My request is that Dropbox return/relink my data. I've set up two new accounts (each with only the 2gb free space) but my contract with Dropbox is for 2TB, but that difference could be easily handled by Dropbox.

I well know that hacking is a huge problem, but my request is small. I'm asking that Dropbox return/relink my data. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Bamm

Could you let me know what happens when you try to submit a Help Request (without signing in)? Do you get any error messages?

If you do have an existing ticket with our team, could you please let me know the ID (rg. #1234567) associated with it?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?