cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can not open Dropbox app on may Mac

I can not open Dropbox app on may Mac

Phantom769
Explorer | Level 4

MacOS 10.13.6

I am having a problem with my Dropbox app and although I have seen problems on this forum with people blaming it on the High Sierra upgrade, my issue pre-dates that OS upgrade.

I am trying to open my Dropbox app to change a setting, but when I double click on the app, or use the Open command in the File menu, the only thing that happens is the Finder window dims like something is opening, but then, nothing happens.  The same thing is happening on my wife's Mac Book Pro.

The good news is that the Dropbox service is still working perfectly for us, as it has for several years.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I can not open Dropbox app on may Mac

Jay
Dropboxer
If the app still isn’t running as it should, or appearing in the menu bar, would it be okay if we contact you at the email associated with your forum profile to look into this further?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, it sounds like the Dropbox desktop application might not be running normally if your Finder is acting that way. 

Have you already tried doing an advanced reinstall to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Phantom769
Explorer | Level 4

I wanted to try just a simple uninstall and reinstall but although the app shows no reponse when I click on it, when I try to drag the icon to the trash I get this message:

The item “Dropbox.app” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open.

I did a restart but the problem remains.  The Force Quit Applications menu does not show  the Dropbox app as open.  However the Activity Monitor does show it as being used.

Jay
Dropboxer
The advanced reinstall page does show a way to force close the Dropbox app and all related processes. If you try that it might work!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Phantom769
Explorer | Level 4

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I do not see anything in the advanced reinstall page about for forcing an unresponsive app to quit.  The references to using Terminal all come after quiting the app and uninstalling it.  As I stated above, I get an error message when I attempt to move the app icon to the trash.

Jay
Dropboxer
Ahh, sorry about that, it was in a separate article here, on uninstalling the app.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Phantom769
Explorer | Level 4

The good news is that when I used the instructions in the section titled "If you're having trouble uninstalling the Dropbox app, follow these steps:" I was able to quit all of the Dropbox functions that were running.  I did this working through Activity Monitor and after that I was to drag the app out of the applications folder and into the trash.  After that I did a reinstall using a disk image of Dropbox 57.4.89

The bad news is that after the reinstall the app behaved in EXACTLY the same way as before, not opening, etc.

Jay
Dropboxer
If the app still isn’t running as it should, or appearing in the menu bar, would it be okay if we contact you at the email associated with your forum profile to look into this further?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Phantom769
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, that would be great.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Phantom769 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?