cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't connect my Dropbox account on my desktop. How should I proceed?

I can't connect my Dropbox account on my desktop. How should I proceed?

Leontheafrican
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I installed dropbox application on my computer but I cannot connect my account to it. For precision, I don't receive any error message but after trying to log in, the loading just gets stuck.

What can I do?? Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox account

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey there (@Leontheafrican), if you’re getting a message on your screen that reads Connecting (& assuming that you can access our website as expected), then you may have a look at these pointers that could be helpful: 

Spoiler
  • Initially, are you connecting through a work network by any chance? If so, you may have to check with your company’s IT, as there may be an update on your Firewall settings (or some other additional security precaution put in place) that’s been affecting your connection. Are you having any issues loading your account online
  • Are other users in your network experiencing the same behavior incidentally? Have you reset your router maybe? 
  • If all other settings have been checked correctly, then it’s highly likely that an antivirus, security program, proxy or VPN is blocking the Dropbox desktop app from updating. Can you make sure the domains listed here are allowed or whitelisted?
  • Last but not least, if you're seeing a different message on your end, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info), so as to better determine what's happening. 
Please let me know of your findings in your next message here so as to follow-up with you as closely as possible. I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Leontheafrican
Explorer | Level 3

Hello there, @Jane. Thanx for the prompt reply.

Well, the answer is yes, I work in a network & I recently replaced the hard drive, then things just get stuck at the connecting part. 

The thing is it's the 1st time the dropbox app refuse to connect to my account. 

If possible, I'd like to send you a screenshot; how can I attach it??

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift update @Leontheafrican! Now, there could be a few things we should take into consideration on this configuration however a screenshot will definitely shed a bit more light. There are two options to post us a screenshot here: 

#1. Firstly, you can use the Upload photo functionality, as you can see on the screenshot below: 

Spoiler

Attach image.png

#2. Alternatively, you could upload the screenshot to your Dropbox account online & create a shared link :link:, which you could include in your next reply here. 

Thanks again for taking this extra step for me; I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Leontheafrican
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox 1.pngDropbox 2.png

Leontheafrican
Explorer | Level 3

Hi again @jane, thanks for the interaction.

Here are 2 screenshots showing the steps I took in attempting to connect.

For precision, dropbox is listed by my firewall as a trusted application.

Thanks again.

Jane
Dropboxer
I appreciate your cooperation & the screenshot @Leontheafrican; let’s look into that in a bit more depth below! 

Now, it would be worth mentioning that an incorrect date and time on your computer could also prevent Dropbox from getting a secure connection. Please make sure this is not the case before checking anything else. 

If that’s set correctly, please check other security applications (note: this resource goes into more detail on the latest known security programs that may cause you an issue when interacting with Dropbox). From there, if you have an antivirus and/or firewall running, make sure you do the following:

Spoiler
- Allow "Dropbox" (or "Dropbox.exe") to access ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS).
- Add dropbox.com to the list of approved sites (white list) and make sure it is not on a black list.
- In general, you need to allow *.dropbox.com and *.getdropbox.com to access all the hosts in our domain, since our IPs are constantly changing you need to approve/unblock by domain.
- Some antivirus have special features that scan SSL traffic, please review your vendor's documentation and make sure you exclude Dropbox from the list.
- Some firewalls also act as proxies for your computer, so you might need to add them in the proxies Preferences panel to correctly connect.

Finally, if you have ever used Norton utilities, you may need to run the Norton Removal Tool, even if you have already uninstalled Norton's software. More information can be found in these two links:

Thanks again for taking the time to check back on how these suggestions work for you; I know that close scrutiny is needed at this point & I’d happily explain any of the above in a bit more detail should you have any additional questions. Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Leontheafrican
Explorer | Level 3

Good day @Jane & thanks again for your celerity.

After checking, the day & time are correctly adjusted.

Concerning the firewall, I use Kasperzky total security & it lists dropbox as a trusted application but I didn't find anything about how to allow dropbox access ports 80 (http) and 443(HTTPS). I'll send you another screenshot to illustrate my words. 

Sorry if it's in French, I hope it's not an inconvenient. DROPBOX TRUSTED APPDROPBOX TRUSTED APP

Jane
Dropboxer
Good day @Leontheafrican & thanks a lot for sticking with me here, I appreciate it that you’ve stayed in touch & taking the time to keep me updated on the progress. (On the sidenote, your French screenshots are just fine! :slight_smile: )

As I’d like to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your setup through our Official Support channel having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. I’ll be awaiting your next message Leon! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Leontheafrican
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jane glad to hear from you again & thanks for your support. 

I guess we'll exchange throu email from now on; talk to you there then

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Leontheafrican Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?