cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't find the gear icon within the desktop app, any help?

I can't find the gear icon within the desktop app, any help?

SMART S.
New member | Level 1

where is it please

15 Replies 15

Re: cant find the gear icon

Mark
Super User II

Click on the Dropbox icon on your status bar (near the computers clock) and its to the bottom right of that screen

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jon E.7
New member | Level 1

Using MacAir, syncing fine, but gear icon for preferences then selective syncing does not show in dropbox dropdown menu selections.  How to get gear icon under dropbox icon where it should be?

Tom T.6
New member | Level 1

I simply cannot see any gear icon at all. I have clicked on the Dropbox icon in the system tray, and the Dropbox screen has appeared, but there is no gear icon or any sign of any settings icon anywhere on the screen. I know I'm not the only person to have this problem. Can anyone please help? Thanks. Tom

Rich
Super User II

Top right corner of the window. You don't see a gear there?

></p>

Robert S.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

></p>
<p><em>Edit: Oops, Ninja'd!</em></p>

Tom T.6
New member | Level 1

Very kind of you to take the trouble to reply, Robert, but the gear icon simply doesn't appear on my screen at all - top right or anywhere else! In fact, I get a different window from the one illustrated. I get a list of dropbox folders with date modified, type and size. I'm really sorry to be so dim, but I'd appreciate any help in finding this wretched icon. It really doesn't have to be this difficult, does it? I can manage to find Settings in all my other applications. But I am not alone in experiencing this problem. Tom

Rich
Super User II

I get a list of dropbox folders with date modified, type and size.

You're opening your Dropbox folder; not the application window. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray once and wait for the popup to appear.

Tom T.6
New member | Level 1

Thanks, Rich. At least I now know what the window is! Unfortunately, that's what I get every time when I click once on the Dropbox icon in the system tray. I am not double-clicking, just clicking once, but that's what comes up every time. I'm so sorry to put you out, but can you (or anyone else) suggest a way of getting to the application window, please?

Rich
Super User II

Try a CTRL-click of the icon. That opens the old legacy menu.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    B. Chrisse H. New member | Level 1
    Jez M. New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Tom T.6 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?