cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't install Dropbox desktop app after changing name of home folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

So I got a new MacBook and installed dropbox. After the installation, I decided to change the name of the administrator account and it's home folder through this process: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201548.

I deleted the dropbox app and all files I could find with a simple "dropbox" search in finder. Now I can't reinstall the desktop app; the app downloads and asks for permission to change the /user/Administrator/ folder, but that folder doesn't exist anymore due to me changing the name. After granting permission (the only possible option besides cancel), the app declines to install due to a permission problem(PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/administrator') I can't seem to get around this issue (I also tried the Terminal codes in the help section). Any tips?

BR, Valter

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: I can't install Dropbox desktop app after changing name of home folder

Super User II
Super User II

You need to perform a complete re-install, according to the steps in Stefanie's post in the following thread:

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?