cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't install the desktop app on my Mac die to a permissions error. Any ideas?

I can't install the desktop app on my Mac die to a permissions error. Any ideas?

kathrynleann
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox will not install on my Mac. I have tried various different tactics provided on this community chat and none of those are working. I will take any suggestions you have and will try again if needed. I am running Max OSX 10.15.4 Catalina on a MacBook Air. I had dropbox installed on my computer before I did the Catalina update and now cannot get it to install. Thank you for any support you may be able to offer. 

3 Replies 3

Re: I can't install the desktop app on my Mac die to a permissions error. Any ideas?

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @kathrynleann, thanks for reaching out to us and for the screenshot - definitely gives us a better understanding of what you're seeing. 

As a first step, could you check out this article which lists a set of instructions that should resolve this error message?

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I can't install the desktop app on my Mac die to a permissions error. Any ideas?

kathrynleann
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for this reply. I tried it and it did not work. I have a feeling I know what might be going on. I recently changed my user name (not my user account, my user name). My account name is still the same but my user name is now different. The error message I get says it needs persmission for the old user name. I am wondering if the dropbox install file still thinks it should be finding the old name becuase that is what my user name was before I updated to Catalina and changed my user name to the new one around the same time. That is when this problem started. 

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @kathrynleann.

Hmm. :thinking: Could you try the following these steps and see if they do the trick?

If they don't, I'd recommend giving an advanced reinstall a shot. If you're on a Basic (free) account though, note that there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Let me know of any updates - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?