Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't move the Dropbox folder as there are files still in use?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi 

I am hoping someone can assist as I have been struggling for some time now. 

I need to change the file path for Dropbox to C:\Dropbox on both of my laptops to ensure that linked files in Access can be opened from both devices. 

I have successfully managed to make the change on my laptop and now have all my Dropbox data in the folder, C:\Dropbox but my second laptop still has my Dropbox files in C:\users\dean\Dropbox and when I try to move it I am told that it cannot be moved as there are files or folders in use. 

My question: How do I see what files are currently in use and close them? To the best of my knowledge I cannot see any open files or folders on either device. 

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Changing the file path from 'C:\users\dean\dropbox' to 'C:\Dropbox'

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Dean8, thanks for joining the Community!

Try doing this after a fresh reboot of the computer, and then quitting every single open app on your machine, before moving the Dropbox folder using the built-in preferences.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay

Thank you for the prompt response. 

The built-in preferences worked perfectly on the first device. 

I have rebooted and closed all apps and I have the same issues. Could having Dropbox open on a mobile device or any other device be causing the problem? If so, would I be able to see which devices are currently logged into Dropbox?

Cheers

Dean

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Other devices connected to your Dropbox account wouldn't cause this error message.

Can you think of any app or service that could be accessing a file or folder there, or even the entire Dropbox folder?

Otherwise, this would be more related to the OS itself, since something needs the Dropbox folder to be located there, and we wouldn't be able to identify what app or service it is.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?