cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't open encrypted Word files on the Dropbox site

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have used DropBox for quite a while and recently upgraded to a new computer.  All seemed well with the installation but when I attempted to openman encripted Word 2010 file, I hit a road block.  I own the program and have used it for many years (since 2010) and do not use it sufficiently to have a need to upgrade to 365 but I cannot get DropBox to use the program.  Do I need to convert to another cloud or am I missing a trick?

Thank you for any guidance.

13 Replies 13
Highlighted

Re: Windows 2010

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @efr54321, thanks for joining the Community!

When you say you’re opening an encrypted file, is it protected by a password and security from the Word app itself?

If so, then it won’t be possible to open the file on the Dropbox site, as it isn’t supported

If I’m misunderstanding something, please let me know more details!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Just to be clear, the operatng system is Win 10 and the word processing software is Word 2010.  Two of us have been running the 2014 version of DropBox and it has worked well with the Word 2010 password protection.  When calling the file from the DropBox cloud, Word would announce that the file was password protected and then open it after the password had been entered.  The other user is still following the old practice and it still works just fine.  Is it posible that this is a new problem introduced with a recent DropBox update?

It seems that the DropBox software no longer supports Word 2010?

Is there a site to download earlier DropBox versions?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

It wouldn’t be possible to download older versions of Dropbox from back then, since they would no longer connect to the Dropbox server. Could you clarify how you’re still running the 2014 version of the Dropbox desktop application?

What exact is the issue you’re experiencing? Are you referring to editing the docx files on the Dropbox site, or some other issue?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I've also been using dropbox for a long time, and started experiencing the same problem in opening password-protected MS Word files.  A couple years ago I lost the ability to open the file by accessing dropbox through a browser, but I could still access it using the dropbox Android app.  It would prompt me to enter the password, and the file would open after entering the password.  No longer.  Now I get a message that I normally get through a browser "This file can't be previewed.  To open this file, try a computer or another app."  I'm very disappointed to have lost this access.  Why was it changed, and why can't it be restored?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @EarlyDragonAir, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Out of curiosity, are you accessing the file on your Android directly through the Dropbox mobile app? If so, have you offlined the file by any chance? 

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

I'm accessing it directly through the dropbox app on my Android Samsung Galaxy s8.  I haven't offlined the file.  Don't know what that is.

Thank you

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @EarlyDragonAir.

Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of the error message that you get when you navigate through the website?

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox Screen Capture.PNG

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there, @EarlyDragonAir, thanks for getting back to us. 

What device and operating system are you using in the screenshot you sent? 

What browser are you using there? Have you tried a different one? 

Can you send us a screenshot of what you see on your Galaxy S8 when you try to open the file? 

Cheers!

Sanchez

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?