cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't reauthorise my laptop as a user, despite only having one user (phone)

I can't reauthorise my laptop as a user, despite only having one user (phone)

nekorawr
New member | Level 2

Hi! I hope someone can help me.

I am using basic. Dropbox claims I have too many users, despite only having exactly one, my phone. It forced me to remove my laptop in addition to 3 old (old phone that died a few days ago and 2 older laptops no longer in existence) users, because it would not let me remove just the 3 not actually in use anymore, I had to also remove my laptop. Figured I would just log back into my laptops Dropbox but it will NOT let me, and says I have to pay for Plus. How do I fix this? The whole point of Dropbox for me is to have a backup so I don't fill my phone with files and photos, and can drop it to an external harddrive every so often.

Does anyone know how to fix this so I can sync between my laptop and my phone, without having to pay 129 NOK per month for 2 extra users I don't use? I'm getting a tablet soon, which would make my users 3, which is what Basic allows. Now I'm worried I'll have to find a different solution.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I can't reauthorise my laptop as a user, despite only having one user (phone)

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @nekorawr,

Seems you have made some devices links and left them alive (forgot to unlink them). Such thing can happen if you uninstalled application on some devices without unlink it or if you reinstalled application without unlink it in advance. In such a way Dropbox service doesn't have a way to know particular links are "killed" and count them to your account. Since there is limit of 3 link per Basic subscription (links - not users 😉), you are falling in a kind of links overquota.

How to resolve this? Just "inform" Dropbox for unused links, as removing them from your links set (scroll to devices and remove unused). 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: I can't reauthorise my laptop as a user, despite only having one user (phone)

Здравко

Hi @nekorawr,

Seems you have made some devices links and left them alive (forgot to unlink them). Such thing can happen if you uninstalled application on some devices without unlink it or if you reinstalled application without unlink it in advance. In such a way Dropbox service doesn't have a way to know particular links are "killed" and count them to your account. Since there is limit of 3 link per Basic subscription (links - not users 😉), you are falling in a kind of links overquota.

How to resolve this? Just "inform" Dropbox for unused links, as removing them from your links set (scroll to devices and remove unused). 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

nekorawr
New member | Level 2
Thanks, seems I had to kill those links on my computer aswell, it wasn't enough to just kill them on my phone. All sorted now!

Здравко

@nekorawr wrote:
..., it wasn't enough to just kill them on my phone. ...

Usually, it's enough, but seems you skipped it in some cases and you can't "kill" it back in time using the application. 😉

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    nekorawr New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?