cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't sign into the desktop app to sync my files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I just got a new Macbook Pro and updated it to Catalina 10.15.4. I have an old Macbook Pro with the same OS version connected to my Dropbox account. I setup the new Macbook Pro from a backup of the old one, so the new one does have a Dropbox folder with all my files, but it's not syncing. I cannot connect the new Macbook Pro to any account. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox to see if that will fix it. It hasn't yet. I click on the Dropbox icon in the top bar and get a message that says "Click here to sign in and get started". At the bottom it has the blue sync symbol next to the text "Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account..."

I click on the "Click here" link. I get a window that says "Something went wrong. Try again or check out our Help Center." I looked up the error message in the Help Center and it told me to contact support and include as much detail as possible. Hence this.

My computer has a good internet connection. My network is the same for both the old Macbook and the new one, and the old one syncs with Dropbox just fine. I can sign into my online Dropbox account on the new Macbook. I just can't get the client to give me anything but an error message.

330CFA9C-7CE8-4C8B-9D2C-F656A4D60423.jpegCE0932CE-5455-4CA4-8E36-5F4754BE3AC2.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I can't sign into the desktop app to sync my files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was able to bring up the Sign In page eventually. What I had to do was go into the Mac OS terminal and navigate to "/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS" where the Dropbox executable is stored. Then I ran "sudo ./Dropbox" and it finally worked. I don't know why it needed root priviliges to run, but it did the trick.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @fox016, thanks for checking in with us, and sorry to hear that you're having trouble singing in to you account on your computer. 

To make sure that we cover most initial bases, could you confirm for me if you're on a Basic account by going to your Plan tab online? 

If you are, could you check how many devices you have connected by having a look at your Security tab on the website? 

Let me know what you find - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the Basic account with 4 connected devices. In this case, the Dropbox client doesn't even know that though, because it's not connected to my account at all. Whatever the problem is, it seems unlikely that it's related to my account given that the problem is that I can't get to the point where I can sign in with my account.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was able to bring up the Sign In page eventually. What I had to do was go into the Mac OS terminal and navigate to "/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS" where the Dropbox executable is stored. Then I ran "sudo ./Dropbox" and it finally worked. I don't know why it needed root priviliges to run, but it did the trick.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?