cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot delete Dropbox.

I cannot delete Dropbox.

TheStinkyCheese
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I am on a Mac. Dropbox is an application I unfortunately never used except for maybe one thing a few years back. My hard drive space is full and I am deleting things here and there to free space up. I want to delete Dropbox, but whenever I try it, from anywhere, either following the steps on the help page about clicking it in the menu bar, etc., and from Finder, when I attempt to delete it, it says "It cannot be deleted because the application is open". It is not open. The Dropbox logo is STILL in my menu bar, and it will not uninstall. Help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: I cannot delete Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

@TheStinkyCheese wrote:

it says "It cannot be deleted because the application is open". It is not open. The Dropbox logo is STILL in my menu bar, and it will not uninstall. Help.

Dropbox IS open, because you can see the icon in your menu bar. If Dropbox wasn't open, the icon wouldn't be there. Having the Dropbox icon in your menu bar means that the application is still running. You need to close Dropbox before you can uninstall it.

Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar and then your profile picture, and you'll see an option to close Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: I cannot delete Dropbox.

Rich
Super User II

@TheStinkyCheese wrote:

it says "It cannot be deleted because the application is open". It is not open. The Dropbox logo is STILL in my menu bar, and it will not uninstall. Help.

Dropbox IS open, because you can see the icon in your menu bar. If Dropbox wasn't open, the icon wouldn't be there. Having the Dropbox icon in your menu bar means that the application is still running. You need to close Dropbox before you can uninstall it.

Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar and then your profile picture, and you'll see an option to close Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?