cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot delete files in my dropbox on my iPhone. I've tried everything

I cannot delete files in my dropbox on my iPhone. I've tried everything

Mike D.22
New member | Level 1

Instructions were to open up Dropbox app on iPhone, go to file to be deleted and wipe it off

7 Replies 7

Re: I cannot delete files in my dropbox on my iPhone. I've tried everything

Mariedb
Dropboxer

Hi there! 

There are a few different ways you can delete files using the Dropbox app:

1) To delete single items from the file list view, you can tap the downward arrow and select 'Delete' for files, and 'Folder Settings > Delete' for folders.

2) To delete a document while previewing it, tap the ellipsis button (...) in the upper-right hand corner of the screen and select the ‘Delete’ option

3) To delete multiple items at once, follow these steps:

- In the Files tab in the Dropbox mobile app, navigate to the folder that contains the files or folders you want to delete and tap the ellipsis button (...) in the upper-right hand corner of the screen
- Tap the “Select” option
- Select the files or folders that you want to delete and press "Delete" at the bottom of the screen

I hope this helps!

John A.64
New member | Level 1

Hi Marie,

I followed your directions above and it was successful in deleting the file on my iPhone, but it also removed it from Dropbox.  How do I delete files from iPhone without deleting them from Dropbox?

Julie B.6
New member | Level 2

Hi,

the files in the Dropbox app are not stored on your iPhone. You just see what is stored online in your Dropbox, so you can only delete the online files.

There are apps with integrated document/photo viewer and media player for example, that can connect to your Dropbox and download every file or folder you want to your iPhone.

But you can only view (and maybe edit) the documents and photos or play music and videos in that app.

Robert H.64
New member | Level 1

The delete key is disabled so files cannot be deleted. Any other suggestions?

Julie B.6
New member | Level 2

This thread is a little old... In the meantime it is possible to download files in the Dropbox app.

What do you mean Robert? Maybe it's because I am a few versions ahead, but I have no problem to delete online and offline files.

Robert H.64
New member | Level 1

The delete button is inactive. So none the files can be delivered. It was part of a community sharing files, but has been closed out. However, I cannot remove them from my Dropbox. Thanks for any help.

Julie B.6
New member | Level 2

Sorry I can't help you and don't know how the App Store version 7.2 looks like at the moment, I can't even remember how it looked like in version 5.x, what was the last one I used from the App Store.

I have the TestFlight Beta 9.0. I think there are many changes coming soon. But it's not allowed to write about probably new design, features or whatever. I even had to sign a document for not doing that.

Edit: Did you try to delete it maybe even completely in Settings -> Storage and iCloud Usage and install it again?

Or just reboot your phone?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Julie B.6 New member | Level 2
    Robert H.64 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?