cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I changed my username on my directory and now Dropbox can't start

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I changed my user name on my osx and now DropBox is trying to find the root dir of my old user name and does not open. How can I change this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: I changed my username on my directory and now Dropbox can't start

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @RikT, thanks for posting on the Community!

To resolve this issue, I am going to provide you with steps to reset the Dropbox application settings. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any selective sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing as you will need to re-apply these settings after this process.

First, please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

1. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2. Copy and paste the following line (highlighted below) into the Terminal and press ENTER.

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

3. Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and trying this step again.

4. Restart Dropbox from the Application folder, then please sign in and apply any selective sync settings you may have had prior to this reset during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @RikT, thanks for posting on the Community!

To resolve this issue, I am going to provide you with steps to reset the Dropbox application settings. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any selective sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing as you will need to re-apply these settings after this process.

First, please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

1. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2. Copy and paste the following line (highlighted below) into the Terminal and press ENTER.

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

3. Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and trying this step again.

4. Restart Dropbox from the Application folder, then please sign in and apply any selective sync settings you may have had prior to this reset during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

Tha worked really smooth. Thanks a bunch!

Rik

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it, @RikT!

Enjoy the rest of your week! 

Jay

Highlighted

Changed Username on mac and Dropbox now has Dropbox permissions errors

Explorer | Level 3

I changed my Username and Dropbox goes to old name wanting to change permissions. 

I have tried changing in Terminal with help sheet from Dropbox but it still goes to the old username.

Have also been on pphone with Apple support for an hour changing Terminal directory to no avail.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @MargL, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I've just moved your post here as it seems you're having the same issue as the OP.

When you have the chance, please try the steps outlined by Jay above and let me know if that does the trick.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Highlighted

I changed my username on my directory and now Dropbox can't start

Explorer | Level 3

HI Daphne,

I'm following the advice you recommended. I'm not sure what this part of the advice means:

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and trying this step again.

What is the prompt? I copied and pasted the code into the Terminal and pressed enter. Waited one hour, no change. Then Repeat. No change. Terminal just sits there with Password and a lock symbol as the last word.

Same old permissions error messages come up when I start up.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @MargL, I merged your post since you created a new post.

When you enter the command, did you then enter the password for your Mac where it said password?

The 'prompt' would be the the normal text that appears in the Terminal prior to entering any command.

Keep me posted!

Jay

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay, 

I have followed your instruction and it works. Thanks a lot! But it seems there are two dropbox folders in my /users directory (I am a mac user), which are exactly the same, could I remove the old one or should I keep both? 

Thanks for your help and have a nice day!

Fei

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, It worked! Thank you.

ML

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?