cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't have the option to open a file with Powerpoint, but I do for others. Why is that?

I don't have the option to open a file with Powerpoint, but I do for others. Why is that?

Explorer | Level 3

i have received two shared presentations one i can choose to open between google slides or ppt as an option, the other have only the option open with google slides which i dont want to use.... ? known that problem?

10 Replies 10

Re: open a presentation

Dropboxer

Hello there @bssp, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

What file type are these files that you're trying to open? Eg. .ppt or .gslide

Are they the same file type? 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

hi daphne thanks for your help, both are same file but one includes some videos could this be the reason? thanks 

Dropboxer

Hey there @bssp; I'm sorry to jump in here, but could you check your account's Default Apps tab to see your options regarding these file types and which one of your Connected Apps should be used? 

Apart from that, can you let us know the file extension of those files and their sizes?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

thanks walter, the big one which i cant open is 234mb although the videos were not even transferred on the dropbox....the other 120mb. noted the other point will check. 

Dropboxer

From what I could find, only Powerpoint files (eg .ppt or .pptx) will show the option to open in both Powerpoint and Google Slides.

Google Slide (.gslide) files will only have the option to open the file in Google Slides.

Does this sound like what you're seeing here @bssp?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

hi daphne thanks for being still involved both presentations are pptx and both are placed in the dropbox. we share the presentation between two persons to correct simualtainasly which is the benefit of dropbox. my problem is, one presention i get the option to open in pptx and google slides to correct, the other one i can only open with google slides, that means i can only work on one of the presentation eventhough both are pptx and we are wondering why? bye 

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming the file type @bssp.

Can you let me know if you see any difference when you use an incognito/private browsing window?

How about with another web browser?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

i can try... and come back... but still confusing one is able to open and one not both based on the same ppt version....

Dropboxer

Keep me posted with how it goes, when you have the chance to try it out @bssp.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?