Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I don't see the Smart Sync options from the right click menu, how can I fix this?

Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

after upgrading to a paid plan the hickups start. The doc-files  (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync )  is wrong (?). See screenshot: left is my actual computer (verkenner (my files??? explorer??? )), right is the faq. dropbox.jpgMy computer does not have an option to make files only_online. So, how do I

1: let dropbox know their faq is wrong?

2: fix this?

The fixes I understand as described in https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync-experiencing-issue don;t work.

Thanks!

smartsync

14 Replies 14
Highlighted

Re: smartsync is experiencing an issue / windows 7

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @novw, I hope you're well today!

It looks like your just missing the Smart Sync options from the menu there, so in this case I would suggest first to try reinstalling the desktop app with admin permissions.

You can find the steps to do this from here.

Also, I was able to locate your open ticket with our Support team. Just to keep them in the loop there too, I've passed along your comments from here.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

This helped. A bit. Somewhat...

A mate instructed me how to install dropbox with admin permissions. So I did. The local/online-only worked. Jippie! BUT(!) today I restarted my computer and again: "smartsync is experiencing issues". So, I quit dropbox, and restarted the dropbox software as admin. Still: error. So, I installed the dropbox software with admin privileges. I did NOT uninstall the software, just installed. And now its working again.

Seriously? I have to install the dropbox software as admin everytime I want to use it? I highly doubt if that is how it is supposed to work?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @novw!

You indeed shouldn't need to reinstall the desktop app every time that you need to use smart sync on your device.

When you restart your device again, do you get the same error message prompt "smart sync is experiencing issues"?

If you do, did you uninstall the app before reinstalling with admin permissions the first time? If not, could you try uninstalling before reinstalling with admin permissions?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Yesterday I started the computer after a week of vacation, and dropbox started without any glitches or hickups. Working perfectly. And I was happy. Today I started the computer again and "smart sync is experiencing issues". I uninstalled dropbox, restarted poc, and re-installed dropbox. I am now FORCED (!) to choose "online-only" because my hard-drive does not have enough space to store the online-only files according to the installer. While I type this, dropbox is re-synchronising, probably killing my folder structure, where only ONE folder is online-only and all other files are locally stored. I am unhappy.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

And, as expected: NOT working. After the re-install I have no issues, after a reboot "smartsync is experiencing an issue". Naamloos.png

The problem seems to be I have no option in my right-click menu to store files locally or online-only:

Naamloos2.png

When I exit dropbox and re-install the app:

Naamloos3.png

The smart synchronisation is available. I have no intention of paying for software that needs to be re-installed every time I want to use it!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your update @novw!

Since the basic reinstall doesn't fully resolve the issue, can you please try a clean advanced reinstall of the desktop app? You can find the steps for this here.

When you reinstall the app, you might be prompted that you don't have enough space to sync locally, however this doesn't take into consideration the existing Dropbox folder.

If you choose "online only" at that point, if won't change the files already within the Dropbox folder, only new files will be synced as "online only"

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 6

I quote myself:

I uninstalled dropbox, restarted poc, and re-installed dropbox. I am now FORCED (!) to choose "online-only" because my hard-drive does not have enough space to store the online-only files according to the installer.

So, waht you are asking I had already tried. How do I check if I have this KB3033929 windows thing installed (as described here  ) ? That would be the final thing to try. I highly doubt if my antivirus software stops "local / online-only" to be available on my pc?

I have found a quick'n dirty "fix":

click dropbox icon
click name (avatar)
click preferences
click sync
click selective sync

Tick box on -> Local
Tick box off -> Online-only

Not a fancy solution (no blue or grey cloud on icons), but it seems to be the only way I can get this online-only to work. Very, very annoying.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @novw!

An advanced reinstall of the app removes all traces of the previous installation (except the Dropbox folder), which can't be done by uninstalling the desktop app as normal.

When choosing how to sync your files after reinstalling, the app doesn't recognise that there is a Dropbox folder at that point so will suggest to download your files as "online only" as you mentioned.

However, as I mentioned above, when you choose "online only" it won't affect the files in the current Dropbox folder and convert local files to online only. Only new files that are not currently synced to that device will be synced as "online only".

To check if that update is installed, you can check the update history with the steps listed under "How do I see installed updates?" from this page here.

Since I understand that you'd prefer to not try the advanced reinstall, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here so that we can look into some device specific info.

If you'd like, please check your inbox for my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

The problem is that mail takes a ton-load longer to get replies than (this) forum posts. Thats why I went to the forum after not getting things fixed thru mail.  I replied to your mail from 5-2-2020 16:36 at 5-2-2020 18:09 ?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?