cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel my desktop was kidnapped by Dropbox.

I feel my desktop was kidnapped by Dropbox.

KAB2
New member | Level 2

How do you add and delete files without making a mess of the storage space and desktop appearance?

5 Replies 5

Re: I feel my desktop was kidnapped by Dropbox.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi @KAB2, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

I'll just need a bit more info so as to have a better understanding of your concern. For example, are you:

• Trying to add or delete files without deleting them from your computer?
  • Referring to computer backup by any chance?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

crowleytj
Explorer | Level 3

Found no way to solve this issue dropbox copied 1.23 GB of "My document"  Moved the files to a backup drive and deleted them all, once I'm convinced Dropbox will not do it again. I'll repopulate "My Files".  

Unfortununitly Dropbox has exceeded its authority and does no longer allow the user to control their files destiny.  Wish there was a way to have prevent this

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @crowleytj, it sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature, which moves specific folders into the Dropbox folder if selected.

Have you disabled it using the steps my colleague provided in the link? This will also allow you to move the folder back to its default location on your machine.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

crowleytj
Explorer | Level 3

After a few hours of research found the backup tag.  Looks like when you install Dropbox on a new machine it defaults to backup My documents.  Backed up my documents to my local backup drive, deleted the dropbox files, turned backup off, and restored my docs.  Found Dropbox documentation lacking.  The Dropbox backup feature is new and should not be a default.

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the feedback, the computer backup feature is optional when you install the app, as it does ask if you want to backup your computer folders. 

I'm glad to hear that you were able to recover your files from the site. If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    crowleytj Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?