cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get a black screen when signing in via the desktop app on a Windows Server. Any ideas?

I get a black screen when signing in via the desktop app on a Windows Server. Any ideas?

Tazbo123
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have just installed Dropbox on my Windows Server 2003 machine and I see a blank screen when I try to sign it. It's the first time I have used it, I tried to uninstall it and reinstall it again but the same thing keeps happening. Link to see issue is 
https://postimg.org/image/n95snk2cj/

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sign in Black Screen

Rich
Super User II
Just don't count on it working on a server OS. Server 2008 recently stopped working, and someone else stated that they couldn't get it working on 2012. Server operating systems have never been officially supported. If this is something you rely on for a business critical application, stay away from it.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II
Dropbox is not supported on server operating systems. It did work at one time, but when Dropbox dropped support for Windows XP, the server operating systems (specifically 2003) stopped working as well.

Tazbo123
Explorer | Level 3
Ahh, it works on my Windows Server 2012 without any issue.

Rich
Super User II
Just don't count on it working on a server OS. Server 2008 recently stopped working, and someone else stated that they couldn't get it working on 2012. Server operating systems have never been officially supported. If this is something you rely on for a business critical application, stay away from it.

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
A possible work around (noting what Rich said) is to try and install a version in the 15.4.x range from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Gluek
New member | Level 2
For me it's solved by connecting to server with 256 colors (8 bit) mode in RDP, no more black screen, you may switch back to 24/32 bit colors after login.

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @Gluek

If it's not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

Wishingh you a great weekend ahead, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Alternate
New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue, any tips?

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @Alternate

Thanks for getting in touch on the Dropbox Community on this matter! 

If you’re trying to install Dropbox on a Server, what you’re experiencing is due to the connection to our server being blocked or interrupted. As a first step, I’d recommend, having a look at this post on some possible causes, though based on the message you're getting, seems like an antivirus, firewall, security program, proxy or VPN is blocking the Dropbox desktop. Can you make sure that these steps are followed for the configuration of your firewall if you’re on a working environment and that the domains listed here are allowed or whitelisted?

Users who experience a blank setup box, where the entire center of the box is black, are usually either on a remote session or on a virtual machine. While the above is an important first step, the issue you are experiencing could also be related to an issue with your graphics card or settings.

The following steps may help resolve the issue:

• Ensure the host attempting to view Dropbox is configured for 32 bit colour
  • Try logging in on the actual machine rather than through a remote session

Should the above steps fail, then please try installing the newest version to see if the issues is resolved:

Please let me know the results in your reply! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ImSaiPraveen
New member | Level 2

You should try this tutorial on how to solve Dropbox Login blank screen issue.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

renatoconstanciofilho New member | Level 2
    Softech New member | Level 2
    Hoyer New member | Level 2
    idealdrop New member | Level 2
    MilanKerslager New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?