cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

When I run Windows System Restore it fails with this error message

System Restore failed to replace the file (D:\Users\*******\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during restore. (0x80070780)

I have completed system recovery from an image without problem but on several occasions I have come up against this error when trying to correct a problem using system restore which would be easier to use if I could. I still have the problem if I run the system restore in safe mode with the same failour message

Any suggestions on allowing the restore to work

Richard

142 Replies 142

DWolfson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow this is awful Dropbox.  My system is also failing to restore because of your program.

I hope your devs can figure this out -- this is absolute amateur hour for a multi-billion dollar company.

cre111
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Truly astonishing that they would allow this level of extreme dysfunction to continue for so long. I wish they would at minimum provide a warning to help avoid it, but clearly, THEY JUST DON'T CARE.

redthrawn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is crazy. IT people at work are now recommending that everyone cease using DropBox because this essentially makes it a virus.

redthrawn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Would it be possible to boot into my file system with Ubuntu, delete the offending file, and then use system restore?

JacobRusso
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have had an opportunity to test my suggestion from a while back.  This seems to work well going forward.

1. Start "Regedit"

2. Navigate to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
3. Add a Multi-string value with the Dropbox directory

a. Right-Click in the window on right-side

b. Select New

c.  Select Multi-string value
4. Give the value a descriptive name, like "Dropbox"
5. Double-click the value to open the value editor 

6.  Enter the following string:   %UserProfile%\Dropbox\*.* /s

(NOTE: This means to ignore all files inside the "C:\Users\{yourusername}\Dropbox" directory and Subdirectories.)

7. Press ENTER

8. Click OK to close.
9. Now, navigate to: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

10. REPEAT the above steps 3 thru 8 for this key.

11. Close Regedit

Then, to test if it works, 

1.  Create a System Restore Point

2.  Try to System Restore to the point you just created.

Good Luck & Best regards,

Jacob

donmikko
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So, I too learned about this issue just now that it happened to me. Now laptop won't start at all, even in fail safe mode. As a software developer it seems just unbelievable that this issue has been going on for over two years and nothing has been done to solve it. Or even warned the users customers about it.

Now have to consider options for Dropbox both personally and company wide.

Skulcar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Today I realised how huge and well known this problem is. For some reason, my PC stopped behaving properly this morning. So I thought to use one of the many recovery points I had and that's when I discovered the 0x80070780 error. I'm stuck at the moment, I really don't know how to move forward.

alexxfloo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's may and dropbox still prevents system restore. This is a very obnoxious problem at least. I am using Dropbox for 10 years, don't make me want to change to something else. System restore is a viable way to recover your PC after an error. 

Mantic
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same thing happened here. 😞 Time to look elsewhere. I'll be moving my company away from Dropbox as well.

Mrtatemyballs
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Sadly, Dropbox doesn't give a **bleep** about you or your business.
Need more support?