cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I get an error "this operation isn't permitted" when moving folders

I get an error "this operation isn't permitted" when moving folders

Tim S.51
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to move folders from my original personal dropbox account to the new team dropbox folder I created. I am a Pro user.

The first few folders copied without incident. However, a couple more that I want to move won't,. I simply get an error, "This operation isn't permitted."

What is not permitted about this, and why did the original folder moves go without incident. I don't believe I am over my TB limit.

PROLOGUE: On a whim, I was able to move the folders by copying them to my desktop, then copying them from there into Dropbox. So, I got my mission accomplished. But I am still curious about why "permission" was not granted.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dolphin66
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I created a dropbox account for 1 purpose only and therefore I am very much a newbie. I am not familiar with much of dropbox, account types, terminology, so sorry if this ends up being off topic.

I experienced this error and discovered the solution for my situation.

I save a bunch of files, with dates in the names of the files. I later created folders named after the years, "2015", "2016", "2017". Within each year folder, I created month folders, "1", "2", ... , "12". Displaying my files from the "root", I see "2015", "2016", "2017", and all the individual files.  I selected the first file for Jan 2015 (checkboxed the first file for Jan 2015) and SHIFT clicked the last file for Jan 2015. I see this last file and the ones above (that are visible on the screen) get checked. I assume I've selected all my Jan 2015 files. I then move them, using the MOVE menu item, and get the "this operation isn't permitted" message. It's because the UI dropbox as implemented is braindead, in my opinion. It looks like a fairly standard file UI, but isn't. SHIFT clicking the last Jan 2015 file selected EVERYTHING above it, not just between my clicked and SHIFT clicked items. So, I had selected all my Jan 2015 files AND the folders 2015, 2016, and 2017. The error message makes sense, I'm not allowed to put the folder 2015 into a folder which is a subfolder of 2015. The terse error message that tells you very little and the BAD UI (IMHO) combine to give this error that you cannot understand. When I manually clicked all the Feb 2015 files (there were just a couple), the move worked just fine.

So, to use this UI, unlike any other UI of which I'm familiar, you have to do something like:

- SHIFT click the last file for Jan 2015

- Unclick the folders 2015, 2016, 2017

- Then move the files to their destination.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

They weren't 'special' folders like Camera Uploads or Public were they? 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tim S.51
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No, these were ordinary file folders I created containing business documents.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Shared folders?

Otherwise I'm clutching at straws I'm afraid 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Tim S.51
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The folders themselves aren't shared, but I don't that's the issue, since I have successfully moved some folders that are shared.

Eric P.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Specifically, what method or technique were you using to move the files or folders? What is generating the error message? (e.g., Is this a Windows error message? Is it emitted from the Dropbox web interface at https://www.dropbox.com/home ?) Is there an error code?

Tim S.51
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It was a dropbox error message in red at the top of the screen.

Tracy D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having the same problem. It's just a plain ol' folder that I'm trying to move into my new team folder (I upgraded to the business account). It's not a shared folder. Were you able to resolve the issue?

James R.25
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I ran into this same problem. It may help to clarify that this is happening on the web client (for me anyway).

I suspect the size of the folder may be the key to reproducing this. It may also have something to do with the number of changes you've recently made - I only seem to get the error when I've been reorganizing large numbers of folders/files?

I managed to get around it by using the desktop client.

KD
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue. I am using the Dropbox web interface since i cannot store the large number of large files on my computer so I access the folder and files only through the web interface. I am using Chrome on a MacBook running Sierra. Everything is the latest version.

I try to move a folder and drop it into another folder by selecting the folder by clicking to the right of the folder name which highlights the name. I then select "Move" at the top of the file list. A window appears and asks me to select where I want to move it to. I do so and then select the folder I want to drop the other folder into and click the "Move" button.

The red box comes out and say "This operation isn't permitted"

Strange.

Kevin 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Dgmtexas Explorer | Level 4
    TL87 New member | Level 2
    dolphin66 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?