cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

I got an error "Sign in failed" when I tried logging in to my mobile

I got an error "Sign in failed" when I tried logging in to my mobile

3putts
New member | Level 2

"Sign-in failed. Unknown error, please contact Dropbox customer support"

HI there I cannot sign into Dropbox on my android S6, I keep getting above error.
I have no issue when I try to sign into Dropbox from the Google chrome on my laptop its just on my phone.

I have reset my password and also removed the dropbox app and reinstalled it. Any suggestions?

Regards

Paul

54 Replies 54

Sammzie92
New member | Level 2

I am always getting an error on my android htc whenever i try to login to the dropbox app. What could be the issue and how do i work around it?
The error is Sign-in Failed, Unknown error, please contact support.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sammzie92, thanks for messaging the Community!

What version of Android are you running, and does it meet the minimum requirements according to this page?

Could you try to uninstall the app, reboot the device, and reinstall it again to see if this helps?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sammzie92
New member | Level 2
I am running on android 8 on a HTC..I have done all the steps you mentioned but I still cant access dropbox on the android app. I am however able to access the account over web

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking on that @Sammzie92!

Do you perhaps have a Basic account with more than 3 devices currently connected to your account?

If you're not sure, you can check your plan from here and you can see your connected devices from here

Should your account be Basic and have 3 or more devices connected, you would need to unlink enough devices until only two are remaining so that you can link the new mobile app as the 3rd device.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Adil Iqbal
New member | Level 2

I have exactly the same issue. 

Adil Iqbal
New member | Level 2

I'm getting a "sign-in failed" on Android, with "Unknown error, please contact Dropbox customer support."

Interestingly, every time I do it, I get an e-mail sent to me saying that Dropbox has been accessed by a new Android device, is this you? As if I had signed in successfully. I am a basic user and I have unlinked the one device now only using 2 device.

Regards,   

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Adil Iqbal, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Since you've checked that you're running up to three devices on your Basic (free) account, could you also let us know if your device meets the minimum requirements to run the mobile app?

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rharper58
Explorer | Level 4

I am also having the same issue after the last update of the Dropbox app for Android via Google Play Store. I have unistalled it, signed out of my google account, restarted my tablet, reinstalled Dropbox, signed back in to the play store and then Dropbox all to no avail. Still receive the same "unknown failed to sign in error". Even though everytime I try to sign in to Dropbox I receive an email notifing me of the sign in via my tablet. I have no problem signing into Dropbox via Google Chrome though.

rharper58
Explorer | Level 4

Has there been a fix for this issue yet? I am have this same problem in the dropbox app on my tablet.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rharper58, does the Android device meet the minimum requirements for the Dropbox mobile app, namely running Android 6.0?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    scarsong New member | Level 2
    rharper58 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?