cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question about duplicate files. Can you shed some llight?

I have a question about duplicate files. Can you shed some llight?

Chris C.3
New member | Level 1

Today I open my dropbox to find that every document I have has either had a copy made or in some cases triplicates were created. Why did this happen?

11 Replies 11

Re: Duplicates

Mark
Super User II

Do you use a Samsung device?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris C.3
New member | Level 1

I don't use a samsung device. Dell computers, HTC phones.

Mark
Super User II

www.dropbox.com/events may give some clues then.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Stuart A.
New member | Level 1

Can you explain how the events may help?? I'm having this problem too. I see that events tells me that I have made that copy and added (1) to the end of the file name although, I know for a fact that I physically have not done so. Can the events page show from which device the file was added from?

Philipp A.1
New member | Level 1

I have he same problem! No idea why.... Could someone help you out in the meanwhile?

Jim W.39
New member | Level 1

I have had this same problem. DropBox suddenly begins making (1) or (2) or more duplicates of every file I have stored. It seems to be related to my Samsung tablet since it stops if I power the tablet down. When I power the tablet back up the duplicating begins all over again. What is going on and how can I prevent it? Also, is there a simple way to delete all the duplicates? Doing so one by one is way too tedious since I have almost 100GB of files! Help please!

Rich
Super User II

Jim,

On Samsung devices this is caused by a Samsung-created app that interfaces with Dropbox. I don't remember the exact name of the app (Samsung Connect, Samsung Sync, etc.?) but disabling it stops the duplicate files from being created.

Edited to add: This may be it...

Roy D.6
New member | Level 1

I only have one computer on dropbox. It is a Toshiba laptop. dropbox puts duplicate files of everything I stored on dropbox on my laptop. I purchased dropbox to store some files to free up some disk space. It has made my problem twice as bad. Thanks a lot.

Rich
Super User II

I purchased dropbox to store some files to free up some disk space.

That's not what Dropbox does. Dropbox is a file synchronization service, not a cloud-based folder/drive. Anything you store in Dropbox exists in the Dropbox folder on your computer (i.e. taking up disk space). If you want to remove certain folders locally so they only exist in the cloud and don't take up drive space, use Selective Sync.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BROOKE W.3 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Roy D.6 New member | Level 1
    Jim W.39 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?