cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Conflicted copies

I have an issue with conflicted copies of files. Can you help?

Harry M.9
New member | Level 1

Our business of 22 users is having a problem with conflicted copies. In our main fileshare folder there are (in several different locations) email files that cannot be deleted/moved/renamed without inadvertently causing each user to create a new individual conflicted copy next time their desktop syncs with the cloud.

The general accepted notion is that this occurs because the file is open on those computers, however I can say for a fact that these files are not open as they are ancient email conversations. The main possibility is that outlook is for some reason drawing on these files, and is thus causing the computer to search dropbox for that file. But i do not know why it would as these are saved copies not archived mailboxes.

Has anyone got a solution to this problem? A way either to delete these files centrally without creating further conflicted copies or a way to disconnect outlook from searching dropbox for files.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harry M.9
New member | Level 1

Hi,

Just to follow up with a resolution. I went for your first method in the end - I have turn off selective sync on all office computers for the offending files, and as a result I am now able to delete completely the email files. It is therefore the syncing process that is problematic.

From what I have seen this problem only affects windows computers with outlook installed. The two mac computers in the office don't seem to be affected.

Thanks for all your help Ashley.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Aisling G.
Dropboxer

Hi Harry! Am I correct in assuming from your description that these are .eml files? If so, I'd recommend moving the files into a folder, and using Selective Sync to remove that folder from the desktop. This should prevent conflicted copies, and allow you to delete the files, if you want to do so. You can learn about Selective Sync here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/175

I hope this helps!

Harry M.9
New member | Level 1

Hi Ashley.
That is an interesting suggestion. Is there any way to centrally change this preference so that I do not have to have access to all users' computers?

Harry M.9
New member | Level 1

(sorry - yes these are .eml files)

Aisling G.
Dropboxer

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this centrally, so once the files have been moved into a folder, they'd need to be Selectively Synced on each computer. I realise this isn't a great method—the Dropbox team are working on the handling of .eml files to prevent this kind of situation, but for the time being, this is the best workaround I can offer.

Harry M.9
New member | Level 1

Hey Ashley.

Well thank you very much for your time and your response! I will try that solution for now as I think it is currently my best option. I am glad that Dropbox are looking into this problem as I have spoken to my IT support company and they say that this miscommunication between outlook and dropbox is a problem they have seen a few times.

Thanks again

Aisling G.
Dropboxer

Glad to help! Hopefully that solves the problem for you, but if you have any further issues with removing the files, please let me know and I can take another look!

Harry M.9
New member | Level 1

Hi Ashley,

I have found that your solution, though undoubtedly effective, is not practical for me. Another solution has been suggested and it is as follows:

This solution would involve the following steps:
- freezing the main shared folder
- creating an exact copy of it that is private, and stored only on the admin account
- deleting the offending files from within the newly copied main folder
- re sharing this new main folder with the company team
- then finally un-sharing and deleting totally the old infected file-store.

Does this approach sound sensible to you?

regards

Aisling G.
Dropboxer

Hi Harry!

I have a few suggestions—the first is to ask your colleagues to go to https://www.dropbox.com/downloading and install the latest version of Dropbox. This version is better equipped to handle .eml files, so it could help.

If not, you could try the following steps (a simplified version of your proposed plan):
- Unshare the folder, without allowing the other users to retain a private copy.
- Delete the files from your private copy of the folder (you may need to reboot your computer in safe mode to do this)
- Reshare the folder

I hope this helps!

Harry M.9
New member | Level 1

Hi,

Just to follow up with a resolution. I went for your first method in the end - I have turn off selective sync on all office computers for the offending files, and as a result I am now able to delete completely the email files. It is therefore the syncing process that is problematic.

From what I have seen this problem only affects windows computers with outlook installed. The two mac computers in the office don't seem to be affected.

Thanks for all your help Ashley.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

Need more support?