cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with installing the desktop app on my Windows machine. Can you help?

I have an issue with installing the desktop app on my Windows machine. Can you help?

LauriePC
New member | Level 2

I have a Windows computer, latest version, and have been using Dropbox on it effortlessly for years. However, today I suddenly noticed that my Dropbox wasn't syncing anymore, and when I tried to run the program, it didn't respond. I tried reinstalling but got the notification that two errors were found. I did manage to install the app from the Windows store but I would prefer to install the program because I want to keep using the direct folder on my computer and I don't know if that's possible with the app.

5 Replies 5

Re: I have an issue with installing the desktop app on my Windows machine. Can you help?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hello @LauriePC - welcome to our Community and happy Friday!

Can you give our latest stable version's offline installer a go and let me know if you're still noticing this behavior? If you get an error upon re-installing again, please send me a screenshot of the exact message you get so I can have a visual as well. 

On a totally side note, are you familiar with an app called 'Boxifier' perhaps? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there Laurie. Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: I have an issue with installing the desktop app on my Windows machine. Can you help?

LauriePC
New member | Level 2

Hello Walter,

Yes, I had already tried the offline version too. I just tried again and still get the error message. I included a screenshot but my computer is in Dutch, so it translates to something like "The installation program has found an error: 2. / Show help for this problem. / Close"seqf.jpg

I haven't heard of Boxifier before but I would be willing to give it a shot if it works in a way similar to Dropbox.

Thanks

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the speedy reply Laurie - I appreciate it.

As per Boxifier now, scratch that! Since you haven't heard of it, it's unlikely that it's the culprit behind the issue you're noticing

In regards to the error you got, I'll need to check your device's logs so I can assist further so please let me know if you'd like me to reach out via the email address that's connected to your Community's profile.

In the meantime, could you check if you computer is allowed to install applications outside its app store? 

To do this, open your computer's settings and go to System, then click on 'About'. If Windows 10 S is reported there, this is the root cause of the issue you're experiencing. 

In that case, you'd need to find a way to enable your computer to install and run 3rd party applications. You should be able to find more information on this and what can be done by performing a simple web search on your preferred web browser.

Keep me posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LauriePC
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

I checked and my computer isn't in S mode, and I can do other installations without any problems.

Feel free to reach out to me via email.

Thank you for your help!

Walter
Dropboxer

I just did Laurie - thanks for your swift confirmation!

Whenever you get some spare time, please take a look at your :envelope: inbox and we'll pick this up from there.

Talk soon! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?