cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with opening PDF files online. Can you help?

I have an issue with opening PDF files online. Can you help?

Daniel S.59
Explorer | Level 3

All of a sudden any pdf I open in ANY browser on my PC, andmy Mac, my iPad is opened with Drop box? This continues even after I unlink the device from Dropbox and delete the app. I don't want it. Any solutions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Pdf files online

Chris_J
Super User

so you get files thru links that somebody else gave you.  Well, thats a link provided by Dropbox so yes, you are going to have to go thru Dropbox to get them.  I don;'t deal with links personally or at work myself, I work with PDFs, but only thru Shared Folders.  Thus when I click on the PDF, my default PDF viewer will open it.  Now, you stated that you used to open them using a pdf viewer on browser, were you still clicking on links provided by Dropox?  if so, maybe visit the extension used to open them and maybe something got changed.  It appears that there is nothing 'we' can do for you as it was designed to do what it does

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris_J
Super User

I am having trouble understanding what you mean, when you open a pdf in a browser, it opens up with Dropbox?  you mean it shows Dropbox web interface?  Try putting the pdf onto your desktop and then open PDF.  Although, a browser is not the recommended app to open PDF.  Why are you using a browser for this?

Help me understand so I can help you

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Daniel S.59
Explorer | Level 3

When I am online I frequent educational site that provide lesson notes in pdf. If I left click on the link the file goes through through Dropbox.com. If I right click I only get the generic windows options about "Open in new tab, etc. No "Open with...: This creates problems such as in printing the pdf file because there are all these "comments" and other options on the screen and the file doens't print properly. If I drag the file to the desktop, and try to open it, it opens it through dropbox.com

I'll try to show the screen capture in a new reply

Daniel S.59
Explorer | Level 3

Well I was unable to insert the screenshots into this reply.

when I try to open a pdf file from a website, a new tab opens with the dropbox.com address and a banner at the top asking me to sign in. If I drag the link to the desktop it displays with the dropbox logo. When I click on it, it opens the browser to the dropbox address.

This happens on my PC, my Mac, and my iPad

Mark
Super User II
The only way files will open in Dropbox is if the site you are viewing them from is serving the files from a Dropbox account.

If when it opens you dont want it in Dropbox/the browser click on 'Open' or 'Download'

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris_J
Super User

so you get files thru links that somebody else gave you.  Well, thats a link provided by Dropbox so yes, you are going to have to go thru Dropbox to get them.  I don;'t deal with links personally or at work myself, I work with PDFs, but only thru Shared Folders.  Thus when I click on the PDF, my default PDF viewer will open it.  Now, you stated that you used to open them using a pdf viewer on browser, were you still clicking on links provided by Dropox?  if so, maybe visit the extension used to open them and maybe something got changed.  It appears that there is nothing 'we' can do for you as it was designed to do what it does

View solution in original post

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris_J Super User
    Mark Super User II
    Daniel S.59 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?