cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with opening Word files. Can you help?

I have an issue with opening Word files. Can you help?

Lydia1960
Helpful | Level 6

Had problems with files synching so uninstalled and installed it again.

Now it is requiring Microsoft word to open the files instead of simply clicking on a file to open it. Then it is in protected view so can't edit it. What can I do? It's never been like this before?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Installing dropbox

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey Lydia1960, thanks for getting in touch on the Community!  

I’ve just merged all threads under this discussion, since you’ve already begun troubleshooting with Rich here. 

To further look into this, could you check if the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, which suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application?

Secondly, if you detect that the issue is located only when Dropbox is open, please send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing, so that we work on that together. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting to your next message!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

You'll need to better explain the process that you're following, and the expected results.

Dropbox doesn't open your files. You need an application for the specific filetype in order to open it. In the case of document, that would usually be something like Word, so having Word open your file when clicking on it would be the expected behavior.

As for Protected view, this is a funciton of Word, not Dropbox, which can be disabled within Word itself.

Lydia1960
Helpful | Level 6
I’m try again. Before just had to click on Dropbox taskbar and all the files appeared in a small box to select with one click, file opened.

After uninstalling, installing and launching Dropbox, when click on taskbar, a big box appears, click on file, it appears, then have to click to open it in Microsoft word. In protected view which it didn’t do before. Don’t understand why I can’t just click on taskbar to open file...?

Dropbox installation?

Lydia1960
Helpful | Level 6

Was having problems syncing my Dropbox files so uninstalled and installed this. Now I can only seem to open my files in read only document so cannot edit or save them, or cut , copy either.

also there are only some of my files appearing within the large window onscreen. I have to click on the file icon on my laptop to open the rest of my files. Didn’t have to do that before.

would these issues be resolved if I reinstalled dropbox as opposed to just installing? Does that make a difference? 

Advance dropbox installation needed?

Lydia1960
Helpful | Level 6

Was having syncing problems so uninstalled and installed drop box again. Now am having problems accessing my files.

Have checked on the control panel, under programs, features and, unlike before, I cannot see any mention of drop box, which might be the problem?

Is there a way to resolve this and would an advance reinstallation solve this issue, and having access to my files beyond read only...?

Lydia1960
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks for this answer. Yes, I should have mentioned that to open the file is via word. Can you inform me of how to disable the protected view in Word?

Also, have noticed in control panel, program, features that Dropbox has not been added onto there. Shouldn’t there be a reference to this? What impact could that have on my accessing my Dropbox files?

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey Lydia1960, thanks for getting in touch on the Community!  

I’ve just merged all threads under this discussion, since you’ve already begun troubleshooting with Rich here. 

To further look into this, could you check if the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, which suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application?

Secondly, if you detect that the issue is located only when Dropbox is open, please send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you're seeing, so that we work on that together. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting to your next message!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    Lydia1960 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?