cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have over 100 Dropbox processes running

I have over 100 Dropbox processes running

HR4
New member | Level 2

Runnning v93.4.273. I am having a problem. My computer is running slow and I have easily 100+ dropbox processes running (Alienware i7, 16GB). My system is using 97% of ram and the dropbox processes are constantly using my ssd even after 30 minutes of runnning. My dropbox account has only 1GB in it. I don't think I had this issue until I installed "2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based systems (KB4541335)" yesterday. I have uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled and I have the same issue after reinstalling. 

Any ideas? Thanks

4 Replies 4

Re: I have over 100 Dropbox processes running

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @HR4, thanks for joining the Community!

Could you try the steps in this article to see if they help reduce the CPU usage of the Dropbox desktop application?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropbox opened multiple times in task manager, slowing system down

Diana75
Explorer | Level 3

I am running the dropbox desktop app on a Win10-installation and noticed over the last week or so that my system was very slow, to the point that other applications crashed due to lack of RAM. A look into the task manager showed the RAM to be used to 98% total, which considering I have 32 GB is a bit ridiculous, and further investigation showed dropbox.exe was openend more than a hundred times - which was causing the system to slow down so much. I unchecked the option to have Dropbox start with the system, just to find out over multiple days and multiple system restarts that those 100+ dropbox.exe entries were still there, and the system still slowed down to a crawl. How do I get rid of those entries once and for all, and where did they come from in the first place? Just ot be able to do anything with the computer, I went to the command line and used the taskkill command to get rid of those entries, which worked fine, but I get tired of doing this every time I restart the system.

I use dropbox in combination with calibre to read ebooks, and have done so successfully for at least two years or so, but if Dropbox continues to hog my RAM memory without explanation, I will have to find a different solution. 

Re: Dropbox opened multiple times in task manager, slowing system down

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Diana75, thanks for reaching out to us here!

It seems your post got caught up in our spam filter, so I've just released your post and moved it here as it seems you're having the same issue as the OP.

Can you please take a look at Jay's post above and see if the steps in the article linked there help at all?

Keep us posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox opened multiple times in task manager, slowing system down

Diana75
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Daphne, though I do not understand why my post would end up in a spam filter.

The article linked in Jays post above does not really help. For once, I found that article right away when I first googled the problem, so I already read through that one at least three times trying to find a solution for my problem before I contemplated trying to ask someplace.

Yes, multiples instances of dropbox.exe are fine, far more than 100 of them at the same time is frankly ridiculous. No, I do not think any of the problems mentioned really apply. I do use a third party application, but that one is currently not running and hasn't been since before the problems started. Since it's installed on my local pc and not in my dropbox space, that can't be the reason as well.

And what irritates me the most: I haven't started dropbox for a week or so, and for the same time Dropbox did not have any permission to autostart. Where are those processes even coming from, especially after I ended them multiple times?

The only way I see at the moment is to uninstall dropbox completely, though that is something I'd like to prevent if at all possible since I am not fond of downloading and reuploading the 1.21 GB of data in my account.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?