cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have two Dropbox folders on my computer

I have two Dropbox folders on my computer

deanefelter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

On my pc, there two distinct Dropbox folders. If I click on the mdesktop icon, it opens to a recently installed Dropbox with new files. When I click on the Dropbox icon in the task bar, a differentDropbox opens with my old data. My tablet android tablet and android phone both have Dropbox an open to the old folder. How do I combine the 2 Dropbox files/folders ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

At this point I would suggest that you unlinked your comcast account and login using the gmail credentials @deanefelter

Follow these steps to unlink a computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. You will now be able to link your gmail account. 

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there. Since you'll be relinking to a different Dropbox account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking. 

Should you like to transfer your files from one Dropbox account to another, the easiest way is to share a folder between your accounts. Add the files you'd like to transfer to this folder and they will automatically sync with your other account.

We've outlined the specific steps for you here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/move-files-between-accounts

Let me know if you need any further assistance and note that I removed your email addresses from your last post for security purposes. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @deanefelter - happy Monday!

First you need to decide which account you'd like to keep and log into it on all of your devices. 

If you need help with unlinking and re-linking the right account, please take a look here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/mobile/unlink-relink-computer-mobile

If you'd then like to merge your files into a single Dropbox account, please follow the steps outlined in our Help Center article here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/account/merge-two-accounts 

I hope this helps point you towards the right direction, yet, do let me know if you need any further assistance during this process and I will be happy to help in any way I can. 

Thanks in advance for your reply. 

PS: If you'd like to enure you are logged into the proper account, please follow these steps on your computer:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray
  2. Click the gear icon :gear:
  3. Click "Preferences"
  4. Access the account tab and check the email associated with the account.

If you'd like to check which account you are logged onto in the website, please follow these steps:  

1. Click the drop-down arrow on the top right corner of the Dropbox website
  2. Click "Settings"
  3. Check the email associated with your account.

If you'd like to unlink (simply logging out) on your mobile devices (tablet and mobile phone):

1. Open the Dropbox app and tap the menu button.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Choose the account you'd like to unlink.
  4. Tap Sign out of this Dropbox

At this point, your device is unlinked, and Dropbox will prompt you to link it to another account (or create a new account).

Walter
dropbox.com/support

deanefelter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter....thank you for the detailed instructions.

I finally figured out the problem, I have Dropbox in 2 email a/c's

xxxxx@comcast.net and xxxxx@gmail.com [personal information removed for security reasons]

The gmail a/c is the original and comcast was added after reformatting the laptop. Never occurred to me that I started Dropbox with gmail.

How do I combine the comcast into gmail ?

Thank you

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

At this point I would suggest that you unlinked your comcast account and login using the gmail credentials @deanefelter

Follow these steps to unlink a computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. You will now be able to link your gmail account. 

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there. Since you'll be relinking to a different Dropbox account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking. 

Should you like to transfer your files from one Dropbox account to another, the easiest way is to share a folder between your accounts. Add the files you'd like to transfer to this folder and they will automatically sync with your other account.

We've outlined the specific steps for you here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/move-files-between-accounts

Let me know if you need any further assistance and note that I removed your email addresses from your last post for security purposes. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

deanefelter
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you, thank you, Walter !  The instructions you provided solved the problem 100%.

Now I can rest and get back o work.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear that @deanefelter - thanks for letting me know too!

Should you ever come up with an issue or question in the future, do let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Thanks for using Dropbox and have a wonderful day/night ahead. Oh and Happy Halloween :jack_o_lantern:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    deanefelter Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?