cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I installed Dropbox on my computer and all my files are now syncing. How can I stop this?

I installed Dropbox on my computer and all my files are now syncing. How can I stop this?

plumafluente
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I uploaded Dropbox basic to use with Scrivener because I want to be able to work on more than one computer. 

When I downloaded the program, all the files on the computer went to dropbox, and I want to back out and re-install with instructions as to how to only use dropbox for only one item. In other words I want the contents of all my files back. How do I do that? 

I thought that I would be able to choose the files that I wanted to store in dropbox. I do not want anything in "the cloud" that I do not know about. And it seems (Ir so far I gather) that if you try to take anything off of Dropbox, the file will be destroyed. 

Any answers? I am going on with trying to remove Dropbox. Since they were not forthright about my options I don't trust the company so I will not use them. 

4 Replies 4

Re: Did not ask for this

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @plumafluente, I hope you're having a good day so far!

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like the computer backup was enabled during the set up of the desktop app, to backup your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders.

You can disable this and remove the files from Dropbox with the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

plumafluente
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for directing me to this article. I will try this later today. 

plumafluente
Explorer | Level 3

No the instructions  don't work because when you click on the initials you do not get preferences.  

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @plumafluente, are you clicking the initials in the Dropbox desktop application located on the system tray/menu bar?

That's where you'll find the Preferences option to then disable the computer backup feature.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    plumafluente Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?