cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm facing an issue with Excel. Can you help somehow?

I'm facing an issue with Excel. Can you help somehow?

kimlo
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I currently keep getting error message when trying to open my Excel files which i saved in Dropbox from my Dropbox desktop.

The error message: "This step is only valid for the program which is install on this computer." This started just a few days ago, i was able to open them before. 

I am using Microsoft Home and Student Edition 2010. The Excel files are .xlsx and i think it's trying to open with Excel Starter 2010 which i had uninstall a month ago. 

Thankful for some help!

Kim

IMG_3065.jpg

1 Reply 1

Re: Problem with Excel

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @kimlo  - sorry to hear you're having issues with opening your .xlsx files on your computer.

I'm not sure there's much to troubleshoot from my end at this point (the error comes from your computer's OS) but could we check some of the following?

1. Is our desktop app showing 'Up to date' or is it still syncing? Could you provide a screenshot of the exact status at the moment?

2. Does this happen for all of your .xlsx files, one or only some? Can you try another 3rd party app to open them perhaps? 

3. Do these files preview normally on our website at dropbox.com?

4. You can see if there are files in your Dropbox that may have problematic file names using our lookup tool: https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

5. You can view a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer in this Help Center article:

https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/files-not-syncing

6.  Last but not least, you can isolate the issue by quitting the Dropbox application using the following steps:

If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application. You may want to check other applications or components of your Operating System that could be causing this.

If the issue is resolved when Dropbox is completely closed, please let me know.

Apologies for the lengthy response. I hope it helps pinpoint the root cause of the error you're getting. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?