cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm getting Error 2 when installing on Windows 10

Explorer | Level 3

Good day!
I have been using Dropbox for a long time. But on windows 10, recently dropbox stopped syncing some files. After removing it from the computer, I can’t install the dropbox again. Error 2 is always issued. I have already tried all the possible methods described on the Internet. Deleted all files, folders with the name dropbox. Cleared in the registry. Removed all the dubious software on my computer, antivirus, etc. Disabled the firewall. Configured the environment variable Path. Nothing helps. The latest version 94.4.384 is not installed, returning error 2. Old versions (79.4.143 and 77.3.127) are installed successfully without errors, but the dropbox refuses to work on them, saying that they are out of date.
A lot of posts on the Internet about this error and no concrete solution DropBox can offer. My profession is a programmer, I understand the issue, but after spending 2 days, I still could not find a solution. It is depressing. You will have to switch to other software if you can not help me.
Dropbox.exe.log protocol:

!! dropbox: assigning process to named job object dbx2772
!! dropbox: assigned process to named job object with handle 00000210
dropbox: loading watchdog
dropbox: loaded watchdog. executing watchdog_main
dropbox: starting main app
dropbox: package full name is <unpackaged>
dropbox: loading bootstrap
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.5
dropbox: setting program path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_94.4.384\Dropbox.exe'
dropbox: setting python path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_94.4.384\94.4.384;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_94.4.384\94.4.384\python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\tornado.speedups.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\psutil._psutil_windows.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\win32com.shell.shell.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\lib.cpuid.compiled._cpuid.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\apex._apex.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\lib.crashpad.compiled._crashpad.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\lib.librsyncffi.compiled._librsyncffi.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\enterprise_data.compiled._enterprise_data.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtWidgets.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.sip.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtCore.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtGui.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtWebEngineWidgets.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtWebChannel.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtNetwork.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtWebEngineCore.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtPrintSupport.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\PyQt5.QtWinExtras.cp37-win32.pyd'
dropbox: load fq extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_94.4.384\\94.4.384\\dropbox.infinite.win.compiled._driverinstallation.cp37-win32.pyd'
15 Replies 15
Highlighted

Re: I'm getting Error 2 when installing on Windows 10

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @lexayar83, thanks for joining the Community!

Could you try the steps in the following Community post to see if they help?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes. I have completed all the points in your guide. But this did not help solve the problem. This is a link to the archive with installation logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wj777dlrug4fzbv/DropBoxInstallProblemLog.zip?dl=0

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Is that all you can do to help?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the post, I’m looking into other ways to see if we can troubleshoot this matter further.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Are you going to solve the problem? Or will you continue to give the same stupid recommendations that do nothing to help? Many people write to you about different questions about this problem with error 2, you give the same recommendations, and I did not find a single answer that your recommendations helped someone. People, they will not help you here, you can disperse!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

We understand that this is not the type of experience that we want you to have with the desktop app.

The Error 2 message is a Windows installer error sent by the OS and not by the Dropbox desktop application. Due to this, we don’t have full visibility to the specific issues occurring under these types of errors. As OS issues may be involved, we can't ensure the stability of the Dropbox desktop application.

The steps previously provided generally resolved the issue for the majority of users, however, in your case it didn’t fix it. I'd suggest trying to install the app on a different computer, if one is available, to see if this narrows down the issue to a rare condition on that one computer.

Again, Error 2 is not something that we can currently control and it's an error that any application could display during installation.

Having said that, I'd like you to know that we logged this issue with our engineering team in the past. They're constantly evaluating the problem and making progress towards a solution.

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I had Dropbox installed on 3 computers and worked great until the release of your latest updates. At some point, it stopped working on one computer (it works on the others as before). Reinstall the application does not work. And this is the problem in the latest versions. I install earlier versions and they install perfectly without errors, but they don’t work, because Your service does not work with the old version of the client.
I posted the installation logs for you.
It is clear that this is an operating system error, but the problem is with its incorrect use. All applications run on the operating system, and so you can talk about any errors in the applications. You have released an update that is not compatible with some versions of the OS.

Highlighted

The installer has encountered error 2.

Explorer | Level 3

Just as the title says.

Searched for a solution "2" is too vague of an error code and found nothing sensible.

I already deleted stuff from appdata.

Highlighted

Installation error 2

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Everytime I try to install dropbox with the installer (on- and offline) it downloads and then tries to install the content but ends up saying that it failed because of error 2. I tried every possible described way to fix this error 2 but not a single one worked, please help

Greetings,

Jasper

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?