cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: The installer has encountered error 2.

Super User II
Super User II

Tried downloading the offline installer?

www.dropbox.com/downloading

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yes and that didn't help.

Meanwhile I lurked in the forum and found people with same problem in the past. They were given a link to offline installation for older version: Dropbox 77.3.127 Offline Installer and that one suprisingly works for me just now. Unfortunately it's outdated so I can't log in or use auto-updates.

The new version I downloaded recently Dropbox 97.4.467 Offline Installer does not work (aforementioned error 2), even if I completely uninstall the older one.

I know "does not work" really doesn't say much, but you can really blame your installer for spewin such a vague and short error message.

I noticed installer logs are.. obfuscated? compressed? Why is that so? I'd gladly send them but I don't know if there's any personal information in there... is there any doc explaining how to deobfuscate installer logs?

Highlighted

Re: Installation error 2

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Jabbernaut1; welcome aboard. 

As your query seems to echo this discussion, I just moved your post under this thread.

Whenever you get the chance, can you take a look and let us know if @Jay´s suggestions helped?

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @gitPullOriginMaster, thanks for posting today!

Could you try the steps in this thread I've merged you to in order to resolve the error message you're getting?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Same problem here.

I followed all the steps from previous posts: uninstalled Dropbox, deleted all remaining folders, cleansed the registry, rebooted several times, cleansed the file system and registry from prior antivirus software, etc.

Still showing Error 2 whenever I try either offline or online installer.

Haven't had any problem with Dropbox before. It all started with the new update about 2 weeks ago when the update package would not install. Could you please help?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

No solution yet? No reply?

It has been a week without Dropbox on my desktop and I am moving my files to OneDrive now.

Soon to say good-bye?

Highlighted

Error 2 while mandatory update

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Today Dropbox has required updating its version.
Untitled 0.png
During the update, installation has failed.
Untitled 1.png
I've read a dozen of threads here chewing this "installation error 2" issue, but the only thing I've got from them is that the error message is generated by Windows and Dropbox guys have no any adeas what the reason would be.

So why not just stop all that nonsense with mandatory update and why not to leave it working as it was before?
I think I pay my $120 per year not for fighting this sofware.  I start thinking of migrating to OneDrive or something else...

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @rhadamanth, are you using any third party apps or services that link to or affect the Dropbox folder in any way?

They might be preventing the Dropbox desktop application from updating, and generating this error.

If so, try disabling the app to see if this helps.

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Hello, I have exactly the same problem. Can you solve it? I pay $120 for this?
Highlighted

Error 2 on Install

Explorer | Level 3

I received multiple messages today re/you're using old version - must update to latest version to continue use. When I updated, I got installer error 2. I uninstalled Dropbox and now am unable to install as I continue to get error 2. I have taken EVERY step suggested by Dropbox to get this to work and now I have no Dropbox on the PC referenced (Win 10 Pro)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?