cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Error 2 on Install

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @miffedtexan, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this!

Can you let me know if you've given an advanced reinstall a try?

Also, if you haven't already then you can also try using the offline installer for the latest stable build here.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: The installer has encountered error 2.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same problem here. It worked just fine until I got the message to update.

Tried full update, also error #2.

Only windows 10 antivirus.

Followed @Jane steps, cleaned everything (incl. registry), restarted, tried the full update again, but error #2.

I have left the installer log in here AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\installer\l 

Thanks

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Daphne,

I spent at least 4 hours doing every possible step referenced to try and get Dropbox to work. I got it working by doing the following:

• Ran DISM and SFC on PC to insure there were no corrupted files (there were none)
  • I believe that prior to the re-installation (and possibly after DISM and SFC) I also followed the steps listed below I saw posted about broken Registry key inheritance.

1. Open Regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dropbox
      2. Right click KS folder > Permissions > Advanced > Enable Inheritance > OK > OK
      3. Repeat for KS1 and subsequent folders (if exist).
  • Took all steps listed under “How to run an advanced reinstall of Dropbox” including:
    • Uninstalled Dropbox using Windows Control Panel
    • Deleted Dropbox folders within %LOCALAPPDATA% and %APPDATA% (Dropbox folders were removed from %PROGRAMFILES% and %PROGRAMFILES(x86)% by prior Dropbox Uninstall
  • Downloaded prior Dropbox version v77.3.127 posted by “samertm” on 07-16-2019 from

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=77.3.127&plat=win&type=full

• Installed the v77.3.127 version which (unlike any versions referenced or linked by Dropbox or their support) will get you to a login screen.
    • Unfortunately, when you enter your user name and password, it says you are using an older version of Dropbox and will not log you in.
    • Exited the v77.3.127 Dropbox installation and app
  • Downloaded the latest version Dropbox 99.4.501 Offline Installer from https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=99.4.501&plat=win&type=full
  • Installed the v99.4.501 version Dropbox
  • Based on feedback from another respondent from the Dropbox community, I looked in the c:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\ folder and found out that the update I tried installing did install, it just didn't replace the Old CLIENT folder. So what I did is,
    • RENAME the Old "Client" folder to "Client_77.3.127"
    • RENAME the folder called Client_99.4.501 to "Client"
  • Started Dropbox from the Windows application dropdown and successfully entered my name and password when requested

This was a MAJOR hassle that one should never have to go through. Dropbox should test their software releases to make sure they work and NEVER require users to update unless the update they demand does not work. The Dropbox QA and support processes need major rework.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that the issue was resolved in the end @miffedtexan.

I understand that this took you a lot of time and I'm sorry to hear that this was your experience with the desktop app. Please bear in mind that the Error 2 message is actually a Windows error and not something that we can control.

If you'd like more info on this I can suggest checking out Jay's post here.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what worked for you, I'm sure that this will be helpful for anyone else having the same issue.

If there's anything else that I can help with then please don't hesitate to get back to me here.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

there is an easier way to solve the problem: 

- run the installation

- when you receive the error 2 go to program files (x86) and copy dropbox folder in another folder

- close the installation windows: dropbox folder will be deleted

- rename the copy folder in dropbox

- go into dropbox folder and delete client folder

- rename "client 99xxxx" in client

- go into client folder and run dropbox

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

RobyRoby58,

Thanks for offering a simpler way to get to where I eventually got. I suggest that Dropbox developers, QA, and support personnel read the messages hundreds of users who have experienced these installation issues and 1) revise the software so as to not have the issues in the first place, 2) disallow an update installation to stop a user from using a prior working version, and 3) provide (with any upate) clear and easy steps to take in the event a user experiences an issue. In my opinion, the issues I and hundreds (at least) of others experienced are NOT a problem with the operating system. They are the result of poorly designed and supported application sotware. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

In my opinion: I had more than 3 attached computers and this new version limits the max number of attached pc at a single dropbox account to 3.

Probably this is the reason why someone (like me) had this problem and other no but I agree with you: is a very bad piece of software by dropbox

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I've been using Dropbox for YEARS and this is the first time I've had this much trouble installing an update.  Again, I did all of the steps, including registry, complete reinstall, offline install, etc.   I keep getting encountered error 2.  My issue is now that I've completely uninstalled Dropbox, I can't get it back!

Highlighted

Update fails with error 2

Explorer | Level 4

I'm receiving error 2 on a Windows 10 machine at feature 1809. The offline installer returns the same error.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Exactly the same issue. I downloaded the update package and it kept giving me the same Error 2 issue. Uninstalled and now I'm in deep water. Following. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?