cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: unable to re-install drop box on Windows 10

Highlighted

Re: The installer has encountered error 2.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
So I am unable to get the dropbox installer to work on my two main computers (Windows 10) I get error 2. I have tried everything that has been recommended. Nothing works. I submitted a ticket (3473154). It took them weeks to reply and the reply was, in short, "this is microsoft's fault, not ours. Take it up with them." Great. This is what I pay dropbox for -- complete abrogation of responsibility and not the slightest effort to figure out why the software they sell to be used with windows 10 does not work with windows 10 for hundreds if not thousands of their users. Great company this Dropbox. I will have to retrieve everything I have stored in my account and find another service. a complete pita.
Highlighted

unable to re-install drop box on Windows 10

Explorer | Level 3
Cant remember why, but I am prompted to re-install dropbox. Cant use it currently. I downloaded the regular re-install which did not work. I tried the new download build and got error2. Tried to read support instructions and clicked on the download for Windows and there is nothing opening. No download for Windows 10. I need help re-installing.
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Could you try an advanced reinstall: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I too am getting the error 2 when installing and have tried all of the solutions that I have found in the community.

Is the only option to move to something else?  I have used dropbox for several years but now find myself at a loss.

I do not want to clean install windows.  Dropbox was working fine until I got the message that I was using an old version and to update.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
You said: Could you try an advanced reinstall: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall Well--- that is a complicated question. That link takes you to a page where you cannot get the advanced reinstall BECAUSE - when you click on windows dropdown icon, no links to the advanced install are there. No links at all on any of the operating system types. Is your page broken? I did end up on another page on your site that said it was the advanced install and I tried that AND I still got error 2. Still need help with the re-install.
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

In the same boat here. I moved to Google Drive, but I find the app slower to sync. It's quite a disappointment.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this. 

If you've already tried tried a simple reinstall of the desktop app using our offline installer of the current version (100.4.409), could you also confirm if you've tried carried out these steps?

If you have, you can also have a look at this article, in case it provides any further insight that could potentially help. 

As @Daphne, also previously mentioned, if you still receive the error 2 message after trying out all these steps, make sure that you don't have any third party apps that could be blocking the installation, like an antivirus. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for checking in. I have already performed all of the steps recommended in your message.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know, @Jdyercdp

Just to make sure that we cover as much troubleshooting as possible, could you also make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the desktop app?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yes, my computer meets the minimum requirements. Please note that Dropbox was running fine on my machine until the last Dropbox update. BTW ... I stopped Windows Update from loading feature updates at version 1809, after 1903 broke my computer.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?