cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The installer has encountered error 2.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Linda19, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

At first, I wanted to note that I've moved your thread to this discussion to keep troubleshooting consistent, as other users have been experiencing the same issue. 

As for the advanced reinstall that Mark mentioned in their post, when you click on the Windows drop-down, the fifth step includes a hyperlinked "Download now" which should automatically download the newest version of the desktop app. 

Could you have one more look at the article and let me know what happens when you click on it? 

Also, @Jdyercdp, at this point, could you try contacting Microsoft Support in case they have any additional suggestions to try from their end to resolve this behavior for you? 

Let me know how it goes, everyone!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Well, I don't need to try again, I am able to use drop box now.  Not really sure if I still NEED to or not.  If I should be doing it because I'm running an older version let me know.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @Linda19!

I'm glad to hear that you're able to use Dropbox now, however can you just clarify for me what you mentioned about using an older version? Were you able to successfully install the app using an older version?

I would recommend using the most recent version of the app as it contains the latest security updates and performance enhancements. Which version are you currently running?

Let me know - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I was having this issue for the past 2 months and Dropbox support via chat/email has been useless. I have fixed my issue - not sure if it'll help anyone else out. For me, there were a few other problems aside from error 2. I couldn't update my computer via Gigabyte Smart Update or Intel Driver Update either. I couldn't access IOT devices on the network either. Seems that something went very wrong when I installed a VPN about 2 months ago. To restore settings to default, I downloaded the latest Windows 10 ISO, installed while keeping all files/apps, and after that, Dropbox installs, and my other programs work also. For me, error 2 seemed to be due to some host file issue or something I couldn't find in any network settings. Now it's fixed! Maybe this will help you. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, reinstalling Windows also helped me earlier. But I don't think that this is the correct solution to the problem.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Reinstall OS is not easy solution. This topic is to find solution without reinstall OS or changing device.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

That's fair, but nothing else worked and this took 2 minutes of effort with no chance of screwing up anything else. And it doesn't seem like anyone from Dropbox chimes in to help so... 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I don't know how to check the version.  I don't know what version I am running on so I don't know if it is the new one or the old one.  I do know that I was advised to upgrade to get my camera uploads working properly but I havent had the time to check into that yet.

Highlighted

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

Explorer | Level 3

After download the version & try. Still prompt the error failure to install

Highlighted

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

Explorer | Level 3

For me, offline installer 82.4.156 has intalled with no "Error-2"

So it is not a Windows issue

But this version says that you have to update to the latest...but the latest doesn't install!

Testing down to 94 (from 101), but also gave Error-2..

When is Dropbox going to sort this out?

I have tried all what is posted (except reinstalling windows), but with no luck.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?