cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting an error 2 when installing the desktop app on my Windows computer

I'm getting an error 2 when installing the desktop app on my Windows computer

problemdadu
New member | Level 2

how to fix installation error 2 on Win 7

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey problemdadu 

Thanks for reaching out for help on Community! 

The issue you're experiencing may be related to an incomplete file created in the Program Files folder path location, or to a problem with the PATH environment variable. 

We need to verify that the files installed in the following folder paths are OK:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox
C:\Program Files\Dropbox - (if you don't see the '(x86)') 

Normally you should see a folder named, "Client" within this folder path. If you see that, instead of a folder, there appears to be a 0 byte file named "Client" I'd like to ask you to delete it, and then attempt to install the application once again. 

If doing so does not resolve the issue outright, or if you find a proper folder instead of the 0 byte file, then you may be able to fix the issue by setting up your PATH environment variable or reverting it back to the default one. 

It seems that, most of the times, the PATH environment variable should contain the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot% 

If you would like, you can try this step and then try installing. 

Finally, if none of the above fixed the issue, at this point we'd like to clear any Dropbox application files remaining (deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder) and then try installing one last time. 

Mind ensuring that there is no record of a Dropbox folder within any of the following locations:

%APPDATA%
%LOCALAPPDATA%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)% 

You can copy and paste each one of them into the address field of Windows explorer (not Internet explorer) and then press enter. If you find a Dropbox folder there, please delete it. 

Then restart your system and give the installation process one last try, here's a link to the latest stable version: 

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

Please let me know if any of the troubleshooting steps stated above helped resolves the issue you're seeing during installation. If these troubleshooting steps didn't fix the problem, I'd like for you to please log a ticket with Dropbox support the installer's log files.

They are in one of these two folders:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Dropbox\installer\l
%APPDATA%\Dropbox\installer\l 

You can copy and paste that folder name into Windows Explorer.  Don't worry if you don't find the folder in one of the above locations. This is normal. 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation! If you submit a ticket, please let me know a ticket ID in your reply, so that I follow-up on that.  

Kind regards, 
Jane

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

542 Replies 542

Error 2 when installing dropbox

JAN N.6
New member | Level 1

I am trying to install dropbox on my win 7 pc. Shortly after starting installation i get the error 2 message.
I have deactivated windows firewall and virus programme, still no joy.

Re: Error 2 when installing dropbox

Scott G.16
New member | Level 1

same problem, I previously had dropbox installed and it stopped working, I uninstalled then reinstalled and got the same error.

Steve P.28
New member | Level 1

I had dropbox on my computer but the program disappeared, leaving behind a folder called dropbox, but no program. tried to reinstall but got error message 2 after several attempts, both online and offline. any suggestions?

Tony G.11
New member | Level 1

same problem, I previously had Dropbox installed and it stopped working, I uninstalled then reinstalled using latest download and got the same error. "The installer encountered Error 2"

I checked the control panel but it had not installed anything on the system so I then downloaded the Offline installer and tried that - same error.

Greet L.
New member | Level 1

Same problem here. Problem with the latest build?

Amy S.27
New member | Level 1

same problem here, on win 10. what is the solution? why is no one from Dropbox answering this question?

IT D.
New member | Level 1

Same problem on Win 10. I was using on my old PC with Vista. Purchased new PC and install fails even using Offline executable. Turned off all anti-virus and firewall.

Rudy Z.
New member | Level 1

I, too, am having the same issue, and my requests to Dropbox for assistance are ignored. Anyone have any solutions?

Achim B.
New member | Level 1

same here, no solution

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

user918384 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
    nesa0210 Explorer | Level 3
    edwardK New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?