cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fedora 31 Dropbox install

I'm getting an error message "Could not start the Dropbox daemon" for a Fedora 31 install.

Anghellos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I tried to install dropbox on my fresh installation of Fedora 31. The error that i got is "Could not start the dropbox daemon" if i run the installation on terminal i got additional details like "libatomic.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" Ps. on my previous version of linux (Zorin os) the dropbox application was working perfectly (so my requirement of my laptop are ok)

Tank you very much

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acquitar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, I just used this command on my Fedora 31 Workstaion before installing Dropbox. The Dropbox daemon starts successfully now, and the sync function works well.

sudo dnf install libatomic

Now the only problem is the tray icon keeps showing "Connecting...", but it does not affect the running.

Screenshot from 2019-11-17 00-32-52.png

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Anghellos, thanks for checking in with us! 

In order to make sure I’m further advising correctly, can you specify the following for me?

• Did you run the installation on your terminal both times or is it a full installation that triggered the error message the first time? 
  • Can you cross-check that this machine meets the minimum requirements? 
  • Have you installed the missing package detailed in the error message to see if this fixes this issue?
I’ve also run a search on our system & I could see that an agent has also replied on your open ticket, so you can choose to reply on either channel. 

Please let me know how you’d prefer to proceed. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Miguel P.16
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, currently i'm getting same problem, How can we solve it on Fedora 31?

Captura de pantalla de 2019-11-16 00-06-52.png

acquitar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, I suppose this issue is somehow caused by the new upgrade of Dropbox which shows a new version number 85.4.155 at the directory ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-85.4.155 .

For I can remember, the version number was 84.4.170 before I reinstalled Fedora 31 yesterday, and it worked.

I tried to install Dropbox via both Fedora repo and the rpm package proived by Dropbox, but all failed at the point of starting Dropbox daemon.

Screenshot from 2019-11-16 17-15-47.png

Hope this helps.

Daniel L.20
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had to install libatomic1 manually:

sudo apt-get install libatomic1

fyi- this problem started for me when upgrading to 85.4.155

Miguel P.16
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Any idea how to install on Fedora 31?

Miguel P.16
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

But this command sudo apt-get install libatomic1 works in fedora? 

acquitar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, I just used this command on my Fedora 31 Workstaion before installing Dropbox. The Dropbox daemon starts successfully now, and the sync function works well.

sudo dnf install libatomic

Now the only problem is the tray icon keeps showing "Connecting...", but it does not affect the running.

Screenshot from 2019-11-17 00-32-52.png

Anghellos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I tried also to install manually the libatomic with no luck.
same error.
also got error connection with tye server dropbox when i tried to install the missing package but somehow the fedora installed successfully!
Any idea how to resolve the issue?

Daniel L.20
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The command I suggested worked for me in Ubuntu, but I assume the equivalent dnf or yum commands would do the same in Fedora.  I can't help beyond that.

fyi- I'm using command-line interface only; don't know if that also makes a difference.

Need more support?