cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Notification about Dropbox and Sierra conflict

I'm getting an error message: "Potential conflicts with macOS Sierra & Dropbox".

califgrl
Explorer | Level 4

Tonight I received the following notification: "Your Dropbox may need updates. Potential conflicts with macOS Sierra and Dropbox." I'm puzzled because I'm running High Sierra (OS 10.13.4) NOT Sierra and my current Dropbox version is 51.4.66, which says it was modified four days ago. 

I have no idea where the notification came from. I don't think I was using Dropbox at the time. 

Wondering if the message is a hoax or something.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @califgrl, thanks for posting your concern on the Forum and welcome aboard! :sailboat:

As a first step, could you also check if the Dropbox folder is located in its default location on your device? You can find where it’s located by following these instructions and if it’s not in its default location, check out this article for more info.

If it is in its default location, I’d kindly suggest unlinking and relinking your Dropbox account to your computer. This should restore any settings which may have been changed without affecting or removing your files. Do note that your account will then take a few moments to re-index your Dropbox folder and sync any pending changes before returning to normal activity.

Finally, I’d also recommend having a look through this Help Center article for a checklist and relevant scenarios that you might want to have a look at. :nerd:

Let me know if any updates on the matter and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @califgrl, thanks for posting your concern on the Forum and welcome aboard! :sailboat:

As a first step, could you also check if the Dropbox folder is located in its default location on your device? You can find where it’s located by following these instructions and if it’s not in its default location, check out this article for more info.

If it is in its default location, I’d kindly suggest unlinking and relinking your Dropbox account to your computer. This should restore any settings which may have been changed without affecting or removing your files. Do note that your account will then take a few moments to re-index your Dropbox folder and sync any pending changes before returning to normal activity.

Finally, I’d also recommend having a look through this Help Center article for a checklist and relevant scenarios that you might want to have a look at. :nerd:

Let me know if any updates on the matter and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

David N.12
Explorer | Level 3

I'm also having this problem exactly as described by the OP. I ran through your suggestions. Here's what I tried:

• Manually updated to the latest version by downloading and installing Dropbox.
  • Confirmed my folder is in the default location.
  • Unlinked my account and signed back in.
  • iCloud sync is turned off (it's been turned off for several months).

I still get the message that my Dropbox may need updates. Any other ideas?

califgrl
Explorer | Level 4
Sorry, I haven’t replied to the proposed fixes for this because I received no further notifications and my Dropbox seems to be working OK. I think I may have signed out then back in after the initial message. If so, that seems to have fixed things on the one device that showed the message. (My 3 others never did.)

Jane
Dropboxer
Ah, great to hear that you’re no longer facing this issue califgrl & thanks a lot for circling back to keep us updated on the progress! 

David N.12 just in order to make sure we’re on the same page & I’m sending you the right steps, can you ensure you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on your Mac (52.4.58) & it’s syncing correctly on your system tray :arrows_counterclockwise:/:white_check_mark:? Do you have any pending OS updates by any chance? If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of the message you’re getting, so as to understand exactly what you’re experiencing. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next message, in order to look into that together. Happy Monday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

David N.12
Explorer | Level 3

I'm actually running 53.3.65. I don't feel like I went digging for this version... should I downgrade?

Here's a screenshot of the message: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zlj4pgcm5mjfrb/Screenshot%202018-06-26%2017.48.53.png?dl=0.  I just took that screenshot, and it does appear to be syncing correctly.

Thank you!

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks for looping back with me here with this screenshot, let me follow-up with you a bit more closely! 

To my mind, assuming that you haven’t missed any updates on your Mac & your OS is up-to-date, I'd suggest re-installing anew, following the steps illustrated here (this is merely in order to remove all previous settings and configuration). (Note: You may re-install the latest Beta build: 53.3.65 when you re-install). 

Please do keep me updated on how this works for you on this discussion & I’ll happily follow-up in more detail. Once again, thanks a lot for your time & efforts! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

David N.12
Explorer | Level 3

I just ran through the extensive directions (remove, restart, manually delete files/folders from Terminal, install from scratch). It all worked, but I still see the message about needing updates.

Jane
Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping me updated here David N.12!

As I’d like to help you on that matter as much as possible, I’ve made sure to create a Support Request on our system on your behalf (gathering all info you’ve sent us here), so as to focus on the issue in question based on the info I have on my tools for your account & move forward together. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you from where we’ve left off here. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email. Happy Monday! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?