cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm getting an error "Couldn't start Dropbox"

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

All of a suddden Dropbox won't start.  Have rebooted several times.

Messages says:

Couldn't start Dropbox.  This is usually a permissions issue.

Any advice?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Couldn't start Dropbox

Helpful | Level 6

Just in case anyone else has the same problem ...... here's how it got sorted. It might work for you or it might be a fluke.

(This morning when I switched the laptop back on I had the same problem of non-response again but this time I managed to make a note of how to resolve it).

When I installed Windows 7 and Chrome browser and AVAST browser fresh onto the laptop I also imported my Chrome bookmarks across. The bookmark for dropbox linked to a sign in screen which refused to respond in both browsers. I went into Google search (from within Chrome browser), I searched for dropbox and I clicked on the sign-in link under the results of the search. That got me in to dropbox. The URL of the bookmark was www.dropbox.com and it had worked very well on Chrome browser with windows XP until about 10 days ago.

But now it doesn't respond. The URL that DOES work is www.dropbox.com/h

Or try www.dropbox.com/en_GB/login

(I am trying not to think about the fact that www.dropbox.com/h might work under Windows XP because otherwise I might get upset at the number of days I have just spent changing over to Windows 7. LOL)

I am no longer trying to use AVAST Secure Browser to access dropbox because they don't seem to get on with each other.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks to @Walter  for the support! 

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @davidj98031 - sorry to hear that!

Now, in order for me to further investigate, I'll need to get and analyze the full error log that corresponds to the error message pop-up you're getting.

You can obtain the full text of the error by clicking on the blue link within the error message pop-up. This will open a file with the full text of the error. Please either copy and paste the text in your next response or save the file as a text file and send it over to me.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to your answer with the error log David!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am having the same issue. Macbook pro/Mojave

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @simplehuman.

As mentioned, to better look into this, I'll need to analyze the full error log that corresponds to the exact error message pop-up you're getting.

Therefore, could you click on the blue link within the error message pop-up? 

After opening the file with the full text of the error, please either copy and paste the text in your next reply here or save the file as a text file and send it over via a shared link.

Thank you!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@Walter wrote:

Sorry to hear that @simplehuman.

As mentioned, to better look into this, I'll need to analyze the full error log that corresponds to the exact error message pop-up you're getting.

Therefore, could you click on the blue link within the error message pop-up? 

After opening the file with the full text of the error, please either copy and paste the text in your next reply here or save the file as a text file and send it over via a shared link.

Thank you!

Hi there!

Unfortunately, I did experience the same problems. My browsing for an instant solution brought me over here. Though I tried a few but they didn't work. However, I am thankful to you for solving my problem. It successfully ended my a few hours struggle. 

Thanks all the community over here.

Regards, 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 77.4.131
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: 27.0
bn.is_frozen: True

cwd: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Update\\1.3.189.1'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Update\\1.3.189.1'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:\\Users\\David\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path='C:\\Users\\David\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: 'C:\\Users\\David\\Dropbox'
real_path='C:\\Users\\David\\Dropbox'
mode=0o40555 uid=0 gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0o100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\77.4.131\\python-packages-37.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\77.4.131\\python-packages-37.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: 'C:\\Users\\David\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
real_path='C:\\Users\\David\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 7215, in main_startup
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 3230, in run
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 1719, in save_or_restore_installer_tag
File "dropbox\client\config.pyc", line 303, in __setitem__
File "dropbox\client\config.pyc", line 96, in __setitem__
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 296, in execute
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 262, in _raise_better_operational_exception
File "six.pyc", line 693, in reraise
File "dropbox\sqlite3_helpers.pyc", line 291, in execute
sqlite3.OperationalError: attempt to write a readonly database

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I don't understand how I'm supposed to send a document over a shared link. Please don't send me back to the 'shared link' page, I need a step by step since hovering over the document does nothing on my mac. I sent the code via email to “Walter”, who I suspect is a robot.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the full error log David (@davidj98031) - it's much appreciated.

As I had a similar report lately where the advanced reinstall helped resolve this problem, could you give it a go and let me know the results?

You can see how to perform an advanced reinstall here: 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

@simplehuman: No need to send a shared link to the error text - just paste it here just like David did so I can have a further look into the error you're getting.

Thank you again.

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Hi
I have just updated from XP to 7 because I couldn't get into dropbox via my chrome browser. All software is up to date. I'm using avast anti virus. After DAYS spent uploading updates etc all is up to date... I'm now finding that dropbox STILL won't respond on the laptop. I'm able to get in via chrome on my phone so there's no problem with password etc.
Is this a problem with avast ?
Please help. I've wasted loads of time on this wiped my computer clean and still no luck
Thanks
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you're having issues with this @SLJ1.

As you mentioned Avast Antivirus, could you make sure that there's no antivirus, firewall or VPN/proxy setting that could be causing this?

If you did and still get an error while attempting to start our desktop app on your recently updated to Windows 7 computer, please forward me a screenshot so I can have a better look into this. 

Thank you. 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?