Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I'm getting an error that I need to use the desktop app to delete files

Explorer | Level 3

Somehow my computer's application folder got moved to a dropbox folder. I'm trying to delete the folder but I get the "too many files use desktop application" error. I have this folder selected as not synced, for obvious reasons. How can I delete it if I can only see it through the web browser?

Roger

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can't delete files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update Bob ( @RogerNH18923740) - I appreciate it.

Since the action you'd like to take is not possible via the web as you mention, why don't you let our restorations team help undo the move action you took in err in the first place? 

I have found your existing ticket on my end and forwarded your comments to the agent handling your case. Check back on your email's inbox for my colleague's email so you can reach a resolution asap.

If there's anything else I can help with from my end, do let me know. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @RogerNH18923740 - how are you today?

From what I understand you're referring to a folder you had selectively (un)synced on that particular device - right?

Have you tried deleting this folder via the web in smaller batches? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the exact error you get, if you're still getting it? 

Thanks in advance Roger!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for replying Walter. I did try deleting files one at a time, but there's so many it would take a considerable amount to time. I gave up after I started trying to delete very large individual files which generated the same error. So, since deleting files is broken with online dropbox, is there a way to delete files with the desktop app without having to sync the file first? 

Bob

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update Bob ( @RogerNH18923740) - I appreciate it.

Since the action you'd like to take is not possible via the web as you mention, why don't you let our restorations team help undo the move action you took in err in the first place? 

I have found your existing ticket on my end and forwarded your comments to the agent handling your case. Check back on your email's inbox for my colleague's email so you can reach a resolution asap.

If there's anything else I can help with from my end, do let me know. 

Walter

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?