cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting an error when trying to set up the computer back on one of my devices. Any clues?

I'm getting an error when trying to set up the computer back on one of my devices. Any clues?

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 5

Hello --  I tried on some of my computer to add the backup option to have desktop, downloads and documents graphed in to the dropbox tree -- I on one, but the other got a the message "can't backup with out permission" -- Does any one know what that means? 

6 Replies 6

Re: backup option

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @Frank P E., I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

If you haven't already, could you check out the "Troubleshoot computer backup" section of this article to see if the steps there help at all? There are a few steps specific for permissions errors that might be helpful.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 5

Hello --- Thanks for the reply -- 

Not sure what inormation I am looking for in the noted the noted help --- I am the admin of the computer and my ID  in the 

admins group --- I also own   "dropbox" root and "documents" "download" and "desktop" 

I woud be helpful to find out what  "command" is being issed to trigger the condition 

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Frank P E., have you installed the Dropbox desktop application with admin permissions?

If you have, which of the three folders are you not able to add to the computer backup?

A screenshot of the error would help greatly!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your reply --  first all 3 folders get the same message -- not sure what  you mean by "admin?"  

my id is  in the admin group,  my id ownes the folders and when I do the install I have the install run elevated.  

I even started  "dropbox"  as an admin -- still  get the same message 

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 5

screen shot of error message 

Screenshot 2020-07-18 11.01.16.png

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey again @Frank P E.

To look into this further, I'd suggest reaching out to our Support team so that they can troubleshoot with you alongside your device specific info. 

You can check out your Support options from here.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Frank P E. Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?